Maui fires.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Found a clearer picture. Looks like it may be a lot better off than I expected. A small ray of sunshine, but man it probably means little to the locals.

Attachments

• 70569256007-afp-afp-33-qx-34-n.jpg
    70569256007-afp-afp-33-qx-34-n.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I spent a year traveling out west working on farms it felt like everything West of the Mississippi was on fire after mid June. We hiked up a mountain through a burnt out forest in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. We had to find a new campsite outside of the Tetons because the one we planned to stay at burnt up two weeks prior. We were working on a lavender farm in Montana while the nearby mountain burned three miles from us. We were the last car through the freeway in Kootenay National Park in Canada while the smoke jumpers filled pools with water on the side of the road and helicopters dropped water. We had ash rain down on us in The Enchantments in Washington. We saw the start of the Columbia River Gorge Fire from Mount Saint Helen's as a thin tube of smoke and then a raging forest fire. We were backcountry camping on the beach in the Redwood National forest the night of the Camp Fire Firestorm in California. We emerged from the woods to many missed calls from family members who only knew We were in Northern California. We had to detour to Sacramento and camp next to a reservoir while subscribed to fire alerts because we were surrounded by three fires then drove through two towns that were completely burnt up on our way to my Cousin's house in Oakland. That was one June to November trip.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wildfire season is no joke. I feel fortunate that up here we've had a pretty calm one, outside the usual 4th of July travesties. Sadly, it gets worse before it gets better. But it will get better, it must get better because as they say, there's no Planet B.

Climate change is one of my big motivations for exploring bonsai, and was the motivation for my teacher as well. I've already learned a great deal about forests in just a year, and I haven't even been trying.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have hope in that the fire moved VERY quickly. Fast moving flames tend not to be as destructive as a fire that burns more deeply into the earth. I'd put money on this tree sprouting from the roots, or even from some of the trunks. Most of it may be dead, but all is not lost.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Video we made today from August 10 Maxar imagery. Lahaina is leveled. Death toll will be higher than the Camp Fire.

I don't know about the fucking imported tree. This is a deeply traumatic catastrophe and will resonate for decades.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
ya, I get that we're all here because we really love trees... but it's really odd to see that getting more discussion than the human devastation.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Two days ago, we were trying to decide if we wanted to go to Maui again, and now this!

Go to Kauai. I've nothing bad to say about Maui, but I think you will enjoy Kauai. We've been to Hawaii perhaps a dozen times, and we found ourselves returning to Kauai.

You will be surprised. I've seen recovery from forest fires multiple times. My guess is 10 years from now, it will look alright.

It's a ficus. Even if it burned to the ground, next year you'd have sprouts from the trunk base as well as all the surface roots.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Found a clearer picture. Looks like it may be a lot better off than I expected. A small ray of sunshine, but man it probably means little to the locals.

From what I've read, not that it's much consolation to families of the dead, but it does mean quite a lot to the locals that the tree survive.
I'd be really surprised if the tree perished.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
ya, I get that we're all here because we really love trees... but it's really odd to see that getting more discussion than the human devastation.
I've gone through and also witnessed lots of human devastation. It may seem strange to some people, but quite often discussions on things that are otherwise mundane in the face of devastation are really not insensitivity to the devastation but rather a way to maintain or help others maintain sanity. Most if not all of us are quite helpless to the devastation in Hawaii.

Cilrah

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally I believe this tree will survive. With the speed that fire passed through, the age of the tree, and the root system it must have, with cutting back dead branches it should sprout new leaves and branches. I‘m no tree expert but it just seems to me that the entire tree could not be dead. I could be wrong but i have faith 🙏

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Umm no not really , the loss of human life is sad and I pray for the families , but the fact the Banyan Tree mean so much to the community as a symbol of strength and stability.. its important to them as well. So I think it is appropriate to also share news on that.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not odd. OF COURSE we understand the human devastation. We feel for the people of the island and town.

However, this is a bonsai forum. Trees are mostly "our thing."

There are many many other places to discuss the human side of this disaster (and that doesn't mean here isn't one of them)--and FWIW, even the mainstream press is covering the tree. It's as much a part of that place as the people...it is mourned as well.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Umm no not really , the loss of human life is sad and I pray for the families , but the fact the Banyan Tree mean so much to the community as a symbol of strength and stability.. its important to them as well. So I think it is appropriate to also share news on that.
In Asia, the village temples practically almost always have a Banyan tree planted next to it. During the Vietnam war, I often see the village temples devastated by ordinance, leaving the Banyan tree standing next to the ruins. The Banyan trees often are the rallying points for the village for the rebuild.

Top Bottom