Maple tree during winter in temperate climate

More on the topic.

I think the biggest problem I've had is summer/fall heat. As soon as we had a heat wave roll through, all the leaves on my Shishigashira turned brown around the edges. This happened last fall too, which made for very unspectacular fall colors.
Yea I have had years like that too. They look good until some heat wave or fall wind messes things up

I think the biggest problem I've had is summer/fall heat. As soon as we had a heat wave roll through, all the leaves on my Shishigashira turned brown around the edges. This happened last fall too, which made for very unspectacular fall colors.
not enough water

They will survive for a few years without dormancy but will weaken over time and die.

It's like not letting you get sleep. You can survive for a while but you get to the point where you can't function any more.
Takes a lot longer for a tree but it will happen eventually
Does the fact that maples may go dormant over the summer for extended periods due to extreme heat help prevent what you describe? I'm thinking sleep is sleep. Using your analogy comparing a human's need for sleep to a tree's's need for a period of dormancy, humans that sleep during the day would correspond to a tree that experiences summer dormancy. Even though some people may experience shift work sleep disorder, people who work the graveyard shift generally do survive and sometimes even thrive.

For the past three seasons a Shindeshojo that I have will grow very few leaves in spring (it's already hot at the start of spring where I live) and it always starts a good month after my other Japanese maples, including another Shindeshojo. It then does nothing over the rest of spring and summer. Then, in early October it takes off and is by far my strongest grower of the year. The picture below is from last week. It is still sending out shoots. And before it woke up it had about 10 or so leaves left over from spring.

Attachments

• IMG_4797 copy.jpg
    IMG_4797 copy.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 9
Does the fact that maples may go dormant over the summer for extended periods due to extreme heat help prevent what you describe? I'm thinking sleep is sleep. Using your analogy comparing a human's need for sleep to a tree's's need for a period of dormancy, humans that sleep during the day would correspond to a tree that experiences summer dormancy. Even though some people may experience shift work sleep disorder, people who work the graveyard shift generally do survive and sometimes even thrive.

For the past three seasons a Shindeshojo that I have will grow very few leaves in spring (it's already hot at the start of spring where I live) and it always starts a good month after my other Japanese maples, including another Shindeshojo. It then does nothing over the rest of spring and summer. Then, in early October it takes off and is by far my strongest grower of the year. The picture below is from last week. It is still sending out shoots. And before it woke up it had about 10 or so leaves left over from spring.

The reasons and circumstances that a tree slows growth in summer are different than those in winter. My maples typically slow growth during the hottest part of the summer but I can't really say they are truly dormant. They are still maintaining their leaves, just not growing new ones. Even tropical trees have a season of little to no growth.

While the analogy to human sleep applies, it only goes so far, it's not a perfect analogy. Humans and trees are not the same but they do require some rest period.

Can't say why your one tree behaves so differently from the others. It just seems to be on a different time schedule than the others.

This is an oddball answer, but since you asked about the vast genus "acer," I feel compelled to share that they do grow Evergreen Maples in California (Acer paxii), they aren't common, but are very pretty trees

Evergreen maple? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom