Maple styling discussion

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have purchased a maple which I think provides a pretty good basis for the design. The tree currently has 3 trunks and I'm now wondering which one needs to go and how far. Of course, I won't be taking the hard step back until March, but I would be very grateful for your opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 71
Just my initial thoughts based on the photos, the sub trunk marked for removal is straight and taperless.
Nice looking tree, small leaves.maple chop.jpeg

if the straight part isn't a pb for you, you could do a "naturalistic " tree.. And cut the branch crossing the trunk..
_________DSCN02.jpg

Styling a bonsai from just a single photo from one angle is the surest way to not get the best results. There may be much better views of the structure that you have not shown us.

Just some observations:
Those 'trunks' are not really trunks in the bonsai sense. Bonsai 'trunks' should start close to the ground so this tree has 3 strong, upright branches. For Japanese maple that's no problem. @clem has already mentioned 'natural' style which I think is a great style for Japanese maples.
Without seeing the tree from different sides I'd be reluctant to reduce those branches back to 2. 2 branches tends to look like a slingshot. 3 branches helps to offset that look.

It is highly likely those strong branches will need to be cut back much shorter and regrown in order to get better ramification. Depends what standard you want to achieve with this tree.

Wow that's a lot of options thanks for your assessment. @Youngling those are really cool drawings. Mega cool. During a bonsai seminar I was given the option of designing a strictly upright tree. What do you think, would that make sense? from my point of view the natural styling would also be a great choice. I'm curious to see what the tree will say once all the leaves have fallen.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-10-03 um 20.50.58.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-10-03 um 20.50.58.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom