Maple leaf Diagnosis?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
leaves on my arakawa are not happy. Spots, wilting and/or shriveled. At first sign I sprayed with copper two weeks ago or so. Appears to have worsened since. Any thoughts on what to do? Try daconil? This constant battle with scale and fungus is getting old......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
NY, GOOGLE is your best friend. "Maple Diseases" or "J. Maple diseases" should give you plenty of articles to read and further insights to GOOGLE . Don't read just one but a multitude.

Well aware of Google. Looking for feedback from a live person with experience based on the photos provided.

While I am a live person, I do not have any experience with a problem like you report. Nevertheless, I am going to comment.

I always wonder about you guys who spray copper just because you suspect :eek: FUNGUS!!! :eek:. I have every bit of the humidity you do, but fungal issues are rare with my trees and gardens. I have never used copper fungicide because there are better fungicides and because I had a past interst in wine production where Cu-based fungicides were over-used.

Do you suppose that your tree could be suffering from copper toxicity?

I think this looks more like a root issue.

The fungal problems on New Maple leaves seem to shrivel them up and cause them to straight up die.. These just look like they aren't getting the nutrients they need which is probably an indication that your roots aren't doing their job.

Do you suppose that your tree could be suffering from copper toxicity?

I am not sure what that looks like. These symptoms started pre copper treatment. I had the problem near the end of last season as well. Tree exhibited somewhat similar symptoms, dropped leaves to enter dormancy and that was it. This season it leafed out nicely, showed good signs of growth and now stagnant with this occurring.

I think this looks more like a root issue.

The fungal problems on New Maple leaves seem to shrivel them up and cause them to straight up die.. These just look like they aren't getting the nutrients they need which is probably an indication that your roots aren't doing their job.

I considered all options but I think a root issue is least likely. Tree is in good mix getting good drainage. I don't think rot is a possibility and since repot was a year ago I know it's not bound. My only guess is the problem from last year I had with it carried over. The last few weeks have been relatively dry. Spotty rain, more pollen falling than I have ever seen, tree was sitting in grow box in ground.

Can you lift the tree from the pot to inspect roots without to much disturbance?I have a gum trees in my neighborhood that the leaves look like this every summer but the trees still live on,if the roots are healthy n your not over watering its more then likely fungus.

Akadama lava pumice
Well, That is the magic stick..

How often you watering? This time of year, in that kind of mix- for me- basically IMPOSSIBLE to over water. Just cannot over water a JM in a free draining mix while it is actively growing. I defy anyone who stays you can. Over the winter.. Yeah, maybe they can be too wet, but in the Spring? In that kind of mix.. They can dry all the way out in a couple hours sometimes.. Especially if it is kind of windy or even just consistently breezy.

Nutrients? What are you doing for ferts?

I can probably see roots from bottom as the grow box has screening underneath, I will have to check. I had good growth last year with the mix before problems in fall with what appeared fungal.

As for watering schedule, it's not set in stone. I'm using organic fert cakes and watering only when I think it needs it. I usually just check the soil to see how dry it is. We've had back to back 75-80 degree days and then a few where it barely gets above 65 so watering frequency is odd.

My only guess is the problem from last year I had with it carried over.
This is a good hypothesis --> what happened last year before you first saw this?
Repotted a year ago.
tree was sitting in grow box in ground.
To the grow box, or was it in this same grow box before the repot?
Did you use pressure treated wood to make it? It is full of arsenic.

This is a good hypothesis --> what happened last year before you first saw this?

Actually...arsenic and chromium are no longer used in pressure treated lumber. The EPA changed that over ten years ago.

Actually...arsenic and chromium are no longer used in pressure treated lumber. The EPA changed that over ten years ago.
Right you are - per Wikipedia: use of CCA ended in 2003 and replaced by copper pesticides.

So, to correct my previous:

In o

This constant battle with scale and fungus is getting old......

Scale like the big quarter inch shells of life suck?

I just pulled one off my Amur 2 days ago and it's already taking off with better growth.

Found one on an elm yesterday. I pulled it off and burned what was left.
I always wonder about you guys who spray copper just because you suspect :eek: FUNGUS!!!

Agreed 100%
Some people spray so regularly, pesticides too, That it can't be effective anymore.

Only sick trees tend to get infested. I think people get caught in a cycle of baby and spray, with trees that are just hovering on purpose to keep them amused!

I try to inspect everything once a day, this way, you can control it before pesticides become necessary.

I found a spider who set up shop yesterday. He's about 1/32 in big, in a 3 inch web. He is my friend.

Anti-spray.

Sorce

Grow box made out of cedar, not treated.
Last year when the tree became sick I sprayed once or twice with copper prior to it dropping leaves to enter dormancy.

I battled scale bugs last year and have been keeping close watch so far this year. Been pulling a few off my tridents and a juniper or two. I check everything daily, won't spray any chemical willy nilly and try to be diligent. I have quarantined this tree and will keep an eye on it.

I would be very surprised if this was a root problem with that mix.

NY, we have been getting some pretty cold nights. I have seen similar on my trees and I wondr if that might contribute?

Back
Top Bottom