Maple dried out... Still hope? Next steps?

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I messed up and didn't water my trees for like 4-5 days. They all seem fine except for one maple. I noticed leaves curling up. This was 2 days ago, and basically all the leaves on the lower branches were dried out and curled up. I'd guess around 40% of the leaves looked or felt dried out and dead or dying. But the rest felt soft and seemed healthy still.

I moved the tree to shade, gave it water. Also watered yesterday. But since then, I think all the leaves are dried out or quickly going that way. Is the tree doomed? What should I do next?

Pics below taken just now. Standard Acer Palmatum.

Thanks!
Figgie

Attachments

• 20230908_140003.jpg
    20230908_140003.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230908_140007.jpg
    20230908_140007.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230908_140102.jpg
    20230908_140102.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 66

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It needs water not shade.

Recently heard a study about how plants make different clicking sounds based on water needs and other environmental circumstances.

They are smarter than we know.

If you were dehydrated, then moved to a place with no food ......would you get better or worse?

Leave it where it can keep a will to live.

SORce

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh, that’s a long run with no water…. Glad to hear the others look ok so far. Dont’t be surprised if the others show symptoms in a couple day.

Best thing one could do is put the tree in morning dappled sunlight and bright shade in the afternoon. It’s possible the tree will come back with proper care. Might take care to keep the media moist, not wet.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First aid for dehydrated plants is a good soak in a tub of water. Just watering the pot from the top often does not wet the soil all the way through so soak the pot for a few hours, even overnight to get it properly wet.

Most trees can shut down and still survive dry periods so most will come back provided they are not too damaged and have enough water. It can take a few weeks for the new buds to show and if it is fall when this happens the tree may just decide to go straight to dormancy but don't give up until next spring.

Dead leaves can be left on the tree. They will fall when they are ready but if dead leaves causes you concern they can be snipped off. Either way won't make any difference to the outcome.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Gosh, that’s a long run with no water…. Glad to hear the others look ok so far. Dont’t be surprised if the others show symptoms in a couple day.

Best thing one could do is put the tree in morning dappled sunlight and bright shade in the afternoon. It’s possible the tree will come back with proper care. Might take care to keep the media moist, not wet.

cheers
DSD sends
Yeah because of the media I have them in, they usually get watered about twice a week. Some are in all soil or a mix that includes some soil because I want them to survive if I go out of town for a few days. So they are mostly okay after 4-5 days. Or maybe they've just adapted to the situation but is not ideal...

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
First aid for dehydrated plants is a good soak in a tub of water. Just watering the pot from the top often does not wet the soil all the way through so soak the pot for a few hours, even overnight to get it properly wet.

Most trees can shut down and still survive dry periods so most will come back provided they are not too damaged and have enough water. It can take a few weeks for the new buds to show and if it is fall when this happens the tree may just decide to go straight to dormancy but don't give up until next spring.

Dead leaves can be left on the tree. They will fall when they are ready but if dead leaves causes you concern they can be snipped off. Either way won't make any difference to the outcome.
Thank you! I should have thought of this... Soaking the pot. I've never heard of doing it for quite so long and I thought that there was some drowning risk lol so that's good to know that it's safe to do.

But now that it's been a few days, is it still advisable to give it a soak like that? I don't want to overdo the watering now.

Thanks,
Figgie

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah because of the media I have them in, they usually get watered about twice a week. Some are in all soil or a mix that includes some soil because I want them to survive if I go out of town for a few days. So they are mostly okay after 4-5 days. Or maybe they've just adapted to the situation but is not ideal...
Looks like this was a good example that no matter the media trees are in, one's trees take up water at different rates during the growing season and during short term changes in the weather.

Soaking it now is still good.

Hope the tree recovers!

Cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thank you! I should have thought of this... Soaking the pot. I've never heard of doing it for quite so long and I thought that there was some drowning risk lol so that's good to know that it's safe to do.

But now that it's been a few days, is it still advisable to give it a soak like that? I don't want to overdo the watering now.
Overwatering is NOT a factor of how much water we give a tree in one go. Overwatering occurs through months of keeping the soil too wet. Provided the soil dries out a bit in between there's very low risk of problems associated with overwatering.
Trees do not 'drown' in hours as most air breathing creatures do. They can cope with flooded conditions for weeks if necessary. If trees could not cope with occasional inundation there would be no trees left along rivers and lakes where flooding occurs.

Even after a few days, soaking the pot is a good move just to ensure the soil is properly we right through. Some trees here get a regular weekly soak through summer to make sure they are being properly watered. I even have some thirsty species that sit in a tray of water through most of summer.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
... and now that many of the leaves are dead or so damaged they aren't photosynthesizing and transpiring, you could actually over-water over the rest of the growing season since the tree's water demands are now greatly reduced. There's no problem soaking the pot as Shibui suggests, but only water if needed going forward, which might be once every few days.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks all! This is really good insight. I think I'll try using this on a more regular basis during the summer months.

Top Bottom