Maple Bark Damage

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Hello Folks,

I noticed some damage to the bark of one of my maple bonsai while watering today. what would cause this? We have squirrels and chipmunks in our neighborhood, do you think one nibble on it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bobby

Attachments

• 88B0EDCB-7CAE-4D53-B7F0-7386AFCF81B8.jpeg
    88B0EDCB-7CAE-4D53-B7F0-7386AFCF81B8.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 115

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure… honestly doesn’t look like rodent damage, but probably not insect damage, either. If I had to guess, squirrel. Either way, get some cut paste on those wounds and they’ll callus over within a year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Year and a day now!

I only ever get like a one bite from squirrels, and it doesn't make sense any continued eating would look like that.

Rabbit?

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like frost crack damage along with sunscald. Or, just a hungry squirre. I tend to think it’s the frost crack and sun scald due to the elongated shape of the wounds. As the trunk grows the expansion pulls apart where the crack was made by the frost.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like frost crack damage along with sunscald. Or, just a hungry squirre. I tend to think it’s the frost crack and sun scald due to the elongated shape of the wounds. As the trunk grows the expansion pulls apart where the crack was made by the frost.
Will it eventually scar over?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cut the edges clean to where you have live cells, and yes, in time it will most likely close up. It will take time though. If you cut back to live cells…do that slowly so you don’t accidentally create a more massive cut area. The live cells may be right under where the loose flakey edges are right now. And, I use cut paste to protect the live cells. That’s what I’d do. Perhaps others have differing comments.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cut the edges clean to where you have live cells, and yes, in time it will most likely close up. It will take time though. If you cut back to live cells…do that slowly so you don’t accidentally create a more massive cut area. The live cells may be right under where the loose flakey edges are right now. And, I use cut paste to protect the live cells. That’s what I’d do. Perhaps others have differing comments.
Thank You

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here’s an interesting commentary. Perhaps why this happened.

”Sunscald also called southwest injury occurs in late winter and early spring on the south west side of thin bark trees. The direct sun or reflected sunlight from snow or light colored structures heats tree bark during the day. The tissues becomes active and breaks dormancy. With freezing night time temperatures, the active tissues are killed. The bark area involved shows an elongated canker that appears discolored and sunken. Cracking and peeling of the bark may follow. The damage may not show until the next spring or summer when new growth occurs. Further problems from insect and disease entry at the damaged site may affect the tree. Any loose bark can be removed from the split using a sterilized knife or pruner. The tree will normally heal itself.

Young, thin bark trees are most susceptible, particularly newly planted trees.“

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here’s an interesting commentary. Perhaps why this happened.

”Sunscald also called southwest injury occurs in late winter and early spring on the south west side of thin bark trees. The direct sun or reflected sunlight from snow or light colored structures heats tree bark during the day. The tissues becomes active and breaks dormancy. With freezing night time temperatures, the active tissues are killed. The bark area involved shows an elongated canker that appears discolored and sunken. Cracking and peeling of the bark may follow. The damage may not show until the next spring or summer when new growth occurs. Further problems from insect and disease entry at the damaged site may affect the tree. Any loose bark can be removed from the split using a sterilized knife or pruner. The tree will normally heal itself.

Young, thin bark trees are most susceptible, particularly newly planted trees.“

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to think the same thing. I had a heck of a scar last July from Frost Crack on a serpentine weeping cherry landscape tree.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is not frost crack, especially if it was noticed over night. Frost crack would have damage under the bark, not fresh looking cambium as seen here. Plus you can see at the edges where the bark has been torn off.

My guess is tree rat.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think it is cicada damage. It's too smooth and I don't see where any eggs were deposited

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe environmental damage? One of my maples had damage just like this after a fir branch fell on it. Also the squirrels where I live chew maples too, so it's hard to tell.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At least in a few years the grey bark from the bottom should start to catch up with that part, and it will have callused over. Will make it look more aged, due to the damage.

That damage was grabbed from 1 end and ripped back, came off in 1 strip, as did the smaller one. So seems like a rodent or animal, personally.

Usually the simplest solution is the correct one, lets try not to over complicate.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Whatever it is, it’s back. It took another section of bark. What can I do to deter this critter? Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Bobby

Attachments

• 3F4B2AF1-6B29-411A-A176-6D41464F77BA.jpeg
    3F4B2AF1-6B29-411A-A176-6D41464F77BA.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 789FEBA4-8268-44FF-B2D9-AF7B27EA0A0D.jpeg
    789FEBA4-8268-44FF-B2D9-AF7B27EA0A0D.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B619A1CE-79AA-4BD3-82B5-DC0DE7E9205D.jpeg
    B619A1CE-79AA-4BD3-82B5-DC0DE7E9205D.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 19