Magnolia stellata - thread for progress

So I ignored this one for a while... It's now very leafy! Should I keep leaving it be?
What's your plan for next year?
If you're going to repot, I'd leave them.
If not, I would do nothing as well. Because you'll probably be wiring then, and they can reject some branches if they don't like the bends. Keeping more is the safer option, because it counters any loss of limbs.

Yup,I would not touch .....and go ahead and experiment to see if chance of backbudding without loss of the meristem( as per usual chopping methods) .Not to say they are wrong,but the foliar method is pretty cool!

Yup,I would not touch .....and go ahead and experiment to see if chance of backbudding without loss of the meristem( as per usual chopping methods) .Not to say they are wrong,but the foliar method is pretty cool!

In response to all of the info you've just shared - THANKS VERY MUCH!! Very interesting stuff there, will look into this...I'll be honest it'll probably take me another 5 reads through to fully digest, but I think I get the jist!

What's your plan for next year?
If you're going to repot, I'd leave them.
If not, I would do nothing as well. Because you'll probably be wiring then, and they can reject some branches if they don't like the bends. Keeping more is the safer option, because it counters any loss of limbs.

Cheers for this!

I think it will need repotting, had a look at the root situation when I purchased and I think I remember the pot being pretty full. I'm unsure about the shape/size - at the time I had the youtube video I'd seen (screenshot in first post) in mind, now I'm not so sure it'll work. To me it just looks a bit big and lanky? (Mine, not the screenshot)

I find that magnolia back bud pretty easily and you can pretty much remove 70% of the roots and they'll live (for at least a year, not sure about longer periods, still finding that out). I did my repotting and hacking in the same year, with not terrible results, twice, so I think the results are similar for any magnolia. It's always better to go slow, of course. But as you've hopefully noticed by now, that's not really my thing.
Just as a reassurance: No matter what it looks like now, you'll have plenty of options in the future if you do nothing now.
Looking at your material, there are three equally fat branches, and basically a double apex. You could cut back to the first branch, the second branch, remove one of the leaders. But healing is slow, so it might be better to do such things in spring. Otherwise the wood might rot over winter.
This will give you a basic structure to refine by pruning and wiring.

At least, that's how I'm going at it. I made a solid backbone by cutting large branches strategically, inducing movement in the trunk. And from there on forward I spend most attention on which finer branches need to go where.
The backbudding is unreliable and unpredictable, as is the dieback. So on one of my magnolia, I'll have to start from scratch in a year or two. Or well, actually there are already new shoots forming, so it's more of a continuous process. But unlike most conifers, magnolia seem to give us a couple extra chances. I wouldn't be too afraid to just get in there and start removing stuff.

This winter it'll show you the whole structure it's been building and it's a good moment to grab some chalk, find a front and mark some branches that you'd like to remove.

I find that magnolia back bud pretty easily and you can pretty much remove 70% of the roots and they'll live (for at least a year, not sure about longer periods, still finding that out). I did my repotting and hacking in the same year, with not terrible results, twice, so I think the results are similar for any magnolia. It's always better to go slow, of course. But as you've hopefully noticed by now, that's not really my thing.
Just as a reassurance: No matter what it looks like now, you'll have plenty of options in the future if you do nothing now.
Looking at your material, there are three equally fat branches, and basically a double apex. You could cut back to the first branch, the second branch, remove one of the leaders. But healing is slow, so it might be better to do such things in spring. Otherwise the wood might rot over winter.

At least, that's how I'm going at it. I made a solid backbone by cutting large branches strategically, inducing movement in the trunk. And from there on forward I spend most attention on which finer branches need to go where.
The backbudding is unreliable and unpredictable, as is the dieback. So on one of my magnolia, I'll have to start from scratch in a year or two. Or well, actually there are already new shoots forming, so it's more of a continuous process. But unlike most conifers, magnolia seem to give us a couple extra chances. I wouldn't be too afraid to just get in there and start removing stuff.

This winter it'll show you the whole structure it's been building and it's a good moment to grab some chalk, find a front and mark some branches that you'd like to remove.
Solid advice there - thanks! Yeah I think it definitely needs some thought on structure, but like you said, that'll be much easier without leaves! When I initially chopped I was very new to this and doing it again would have gone further with it.

I guess if I wait till spring there may be better options there, and I'll know a lot more than I do now 😊

Have you got threads on yours by the way? Would be interested to see 😊

I think I have just two or three threads on individual trees, the rest is incorporated in my guy_wires collection. My stellata was once of my first trees, and not much has changed ever since. It's been neglected quite a bit because it just needs to restore.
After fall I'll do some photoshoots of individual trees, right now it's a bit crowded. I'll tag you when it comes up!

No idea what to do with this one. I've learned a lot since starting this thread, and Im not sure I see a decent bonsai in this material, certainly not without a good chop.

May just repot into a nice garden pot. I'd be worried planting it in the ground with our strict rules on tree planting. I know they're a smaller magnolia variety but think they still get pretty big?

Also, it seems flowers may be imminent?! I wasn't sure whether I'd get any this year after last summer's big chop!

Attachments

• 20210329_120435.jpg
    20210329_120435.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210329_120447.jpg
    20210329_120447.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210329_120458.jpg
    20210329_120458.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 44
Inverse Z... like a sharp “S”

New leader chosen from secondary branches of that FIRST primary.

The orange line... or MAYBE even blue.. is what I’d do, and develop from there...but I’m a wild-man.

Attachments

• 87AD24A3-011C-4449-BE82-2F36CD860DD1.jpeg
    87AD24A3-011C-4449-BE82-2F36CD860DD1.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 38
We have flowers 😊🌸 lovely little pink streaks on them.

So undecided what to do with this one - bonsai or large pot/barrel as a garden tree?

Attachments

• 20210331_183435.jpg
    20210331_183435.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210331_183318.jpg
    20210331_183318.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210331_183343.jpg
    20210331_183343.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210331_183507.jpg
    20210331_183507.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 23
Sometimes you just have to accept that the flowers are the main feature and other parts of the design will always be a compromise.

I keep eyeing this one up for bonsai potential... We'll see 😂

Attachments

• 20210529_111347.jpg
    20210529_111347.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom