Magnolia Fiscati

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
A good ol' southern tree. The flowers have an intense banana like smell. I picked this one up at the local botanical gardens plant sale. There were three plants growing in the pot so I separated them, two of which I planted in the yard and the third I potted up to see if I could make a bonsai out of it. The trunk doubled in size and I decided to make some selections and see what I could get from it. I don't know how much the leaves will reduce. When I put it in the training container they got bigger, about three times as big (see picture), but I thought I'd roll the bones and see what I could coax out of it. What do you think? Anyone else ever tried one?

Attachments

• DSC09416-1.jpg
    DSC09416-1.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC09411-1.jpg
    DSC09411-1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC09417-1.jpg
    DSC09417-1.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC09418-1.jpg
    DSC09418-1.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC09420-1.jpg
    DSC09420-1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 191
I just found a Magnolia in a grow box at a Taco Burrito king. Killer. I might have to make a deal.

There is a Bonsai art of Japan on Magnolia.

Supposed to keep the blooms from direct morning sun.

Nice Mellow. How's that arm doing?

Sorce

The arm is doing well, I have to wear a hinged brace for a while, but other than being limited (Dr.'s orders) to lifting no more that one pound with it, it seems to be healing well. Thanks for asking.

This one gets morning sun mostly and seems to enjoy it, even the flowers. The flowers are not your typical magnolia type as they are small (quarter to fifty cent piece). They are a cream to light yellow color and smell fabulous. There is a variety the has redish purple flowers but I have never seen it in person.

I also have a magnolia stellata that I am working on, too, but it is tough, about like the buckeye, long gangly growth, difficult to ramify.

John

I've seen banana magnolia sold as bonsai on eBay. The blooms where quite pretty. Was curious if they really had the banana smell the seller claimed. Your post clears that up. Wishing you much luck with yours.

I will have to research this. We have a magnolia the front yard I may just have to take a cutting from.I

Keeping My Eye on One

Been watching one at an old nursery here for a couple years. It's been sitting in the back for who knows how long. Maybe one day I will pull the trigger on it.

Attachments

• magnolia.jpg
    magnolia.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 186
Been watching one at an old nursery here for a couple years. It's been sitting in the back for who knows how long. Maybe one day I will pull the trigger on it.

Darn man. Nice base on that. If it's been there for a while, maybe they'll give you a good deal on it.

Wow, that is a nice one. Definitely worth a shot. It seems to heal trunk wounds well, mine had a place the size of a quarter on the main trunk just above the soil that got damaged in transport and in less that a year it healed over.

John

Ida done it! Do it.!

Sorce

DO IT! That is an amazing base!
Only drawback in my opinion which is a big one, is the fact that it is a "Southern Magnolia". As you can see the leaves are huge and I have yet to find anyone with experience on containerizing them for bonsai culture. I don't think the seller will take less for it than the advertised price. He may be an old guy and has some nice old trees, but I am guessing that with years worth of people trying to haggle has made him not entertain lower prices on anything at all.

Only drawback in my opinion which is a big one, is the fact that it is a "Southern Magnolia". As you can see the leaves are huge and I have yet to find anyone with experience on containerizing them for bonsai culture. I don't think the seller will take less for it than the advertised price. He may be an old guy and has some nice old trees, but I am guessing that with years worth of people trying to haggle has made him not entertain lower prices on anything at all.

Oh...it's not a little girl variety or a star then? I see your hesitation then. I've seen some stating good for planter growing, star and little girl series.

The leaves are not huge like a southern magnolia, probably only 1/20 the size. The smaller of the two in the OP is the typical size. The larger of the two is just an anomaly. Probably too much fertilizer.

John

That appears to be what I know as "banana shrub".Used to be known as michelio figo or fuscata. I think I remember reading several years back that it had been reclassified as magnolia. Been growing them for 20 years down here{sw ga}.Great plant to work with. The leaves do eventually decrease in size. Backbuds fairly well even when cut back to bare trunk. Likes acid fertilizer. Hope that helps.

A close relative of Magnolia, Asimina triloba, the pawpaw, is sometimes called Michigan banana. It is hardy and native to Michigan, has eatable and desirable small fruit, but has big leaves.

Back
Top Bottom