Maclura Pomifera (Osage Orange) #31

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, this little tree was started from seed in 2019, so its 4 years old now. It needs a repot. Not sure what to make of it. Definition of stick in pot.

End of year: 10" tall and .44" in width. Will give it better care next year. For sure. Its been neglected in many ways in favor of my twin tree osage planting which is developing nicely.

20231018_222457.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, this little tree was started from seed in 2019, so its 4 years old now. It needs a repot. Not sure what to make of it. Definition of stick in pot.

End of year: 10" tall and .44" in width. Will give it better care next year. For sure. Its been neglected in many ways in favor of my twin tree osage planting which is developing nicely.

View attachment 513670

I'm finding when I let the roots run, they grow like weeds. Mine was a bit smaller than yours at the beginning of the year, and it grew four feet and doubled its trunk caliper this year. If you double the pot size every year or two, you should get pretty fast growth and thicken the trunk in no time. Better yet, plant it in the ground and fertilize it well. Just be sure to sort out the roots from time to time, so you don't end up with a tangle of roots like a tree from a nursery.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm finding when I let the roots run, they grow like weeds. Mine was a bit smaller than yours at the beginning of the year, and it grew four feet and doubled its trunk caliper this year. If you double the pot size every year or two, you should get pretty fast growth and thicken the trunk in no time. Better yet, plant it in the ground and fertilize it well. Just be sure to sort out the roots from time to time, so you don't end up with a tangle of roots like a tree from a nursery.
Definitely like weeds.
Biggest trouble here is getting ramification. After growing them on for a few years I now have thick sticks in pots with very rudimentary branching. Given the savage spikes I'm inclined to think maybe I should just plant them in the ground and grow some bow staves?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definitely like weeds.
Biggest trouble here is getting ramification. After growing them on for a few years I now have thick sticks in pots with very rudimentary branching. Given the savage spikes I'm inclined to think maybe I should just plant them in the ground and grow some bow staves?

Setting aside the issue of the thorns, what methods have you tried to improve ramification? How did the trees respond?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Setting aside the issue of the thorns, what methods have you tried to improve ramification? How did the trees respond?
I've only pruned at this stage, both pinching soft shoots and pruning harder. Neither seems to produce lots of new shoots. Much like ginkgo.
Is there any other strategies that might help with ramification?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've only pruned at this stage, both pinching soft shoots and pruning harder. Neither seems to produce lots of new shoots. Much like ginkgo.
Is there any other strategies that might help with ramification?

As vigorous as they are, it might be a good idea to try defoliation. They grow all year, right up through the end of summer, so they ought to be able to send out another flush of growth. In the alternative, treat them like beech. If the tree won't be come a bonsai anyway, you might as well give it a try.

Top Bottom