Looking for a reputable online Japanese maple seller.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm looking to buy a couple hard to find JPMs. Does anybody know a reputable online seller?

These are the trees I'm looking for:

Acer Japonicum 'Aconitifolium' (Dancing peacock)

Acer Shirasawanum 'Aureum' (Golden Full moon) this one is not very rare but can't find it locally

Mr. Maple
Check out their YouTube content -these guys aren’t just slinging trees.

I'm looking to buy a couple hard to find JPMs. Does anybody know a reputable online seller?

These are the trees I'm looking for:

Acer Japonicum 'Aconitifolium' (Dancing peacock)

Acer Shirasawanum 'Aureum' (Golden Full moon) this one is not very rare but can't find it locally

BTW, don't know if you're planning to use those as bonsai, but they're not the best for it. Thread leaf and lace leaf maples are kind of iffy as bonsai material in this region, as their thinner leaves burn to a crisp by August. Aureum has rather large leaves and can look a bit odd as smaller bonsai (like under a foot tall).

I’ve bought Japanese maples from Maplestone Ornamentals before. They’re based in Ohio, so shipping to the east coast should be no problem.

I have found very rare varieties at this little nursery near Rochester. It looks like they have the dancing peacock, but email them to confirm. They're awesome!

I was searching for the Mountain Maples site. They sold JMs out of California. I bought an arakawa seedling from them 15 years ago. It's now a mature tree in my backyard landscape. It was specifically low-grafted for bonsai use--they had a selection of low grafted trees for bonsai. Apparently they've changed their name to "essence of the tree" to sell conifers and other species. They currently have a "bonsai" section, but being spring, most of their stock is sold. Still some left though if you look.

I've bought from Mr. Maple in the past. All their trees are grafted.....with terrible grafts. Their JM's are only good to get the genetic material above the grafts.
😁

BTW, don't know if you're planning to use those as bonsai, but they're not the best for it. Thread leaf and lace leaf maples are kind of iffy as bonsai material in this region, as their thinner leaves burn to a crisp by August. Aureum has rather large leaves and can look a bit odd as smaller bonsai (like under a foot tall).
No these will be garden trees.

Very nice thank you! Conifer kingdom has some nice 15 Gal ones but freight shipping is $900 :)

You might want to get out to Eastwoods maples in Washington, Va. They're having an open house May 13-15. I've never been into the place, but I've learned about them from reputation. LOTS of different maple varieties...it's worth the trip.

Here's their info on Dancing Peacock:

A. j. 'Aconitifolium'
UPRIGHT • 12'-15' • ZONE 5–8 • SUN-PART SHADE
Often called the 'Dancing Peacock', this tree borrows not only the name but also the form and colors of this garish bird. Heavy, feathery lobes arrange themselves into fan-like leaves that fully mock the bird's wide-spread tail. In spring and summer they don a mesmerizing deep green; in fall swirling reds, oranges, golds and purples emerge for an alluring display. It is one of our personal favorites. 2.5-3 gal available @ 85.00 to $110.00. 5 to 10 gal for pick up at the nursery: $110.00 - $295.00

😁
But those are just seedlings. That company is not in the business of taking the time to root cuttings, say like Brent at Evergreen. They graft to mass produce to offer to the market.

My orders from them in the past were just to get specific cultivars that were sold out at other nurseries. The grafts for me are irrelevant as they are basically mother trees to take cuttings from.

I've always wanted to visit Eastwood's, have you? They look like they have some promising stock there.

But those are just seedlings. That company is not in the business of taking the time to root cuttings, say like Brent at Evergreen. They graft to mass produce to offer to the market.

My orders from them in the past were just to get specific cultivars that were sold out at other nurseries. The grafts for me are irrelevant as they are basically mother trees to take cuttings from.

I've always wanted to visit Eastwood's, have you? They look like they have some promising stock there.
Haven't been to Eastwoods. Have known about it for years. Maybe I can get out there for the May open house.

I stole this off their FB page:

Attachments

• 969456_371686559608701_848131272_n.jpg
    969456_371686559608701_848131272_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 24
You might want to get out to Eastwoods maples in Washington, Va. They're having an open house May 13-15. I've never been into the place, but I've learned about them from reputation. LOTS of different maple varieties...it's worth the trip.

Here's their info on Dancing Peacock:

A. j. 'Aconitifolium'
UPRIGHT • 12'-15' • ZONE 5–8 • SUN-PART SHADE
Often called the 'Dancing Peacock', this tree borrows not only the name but also the form and colors of this garish bird. Heavy, feathery lobes arrange themselves into fan-like leaves that fully mock the bird's wide-spread tail. In spring and summer they don a mesmerizing deep green; in fall swirling reds, oranges, golds and purples emerge for an alluring display. It is one of our personal favorites. 2.5-3 gal available @ 85.00 to $110.00. 5 to 10 gal for pick up at the nursery: $110.00 - $295.00
Wow, thanks for this. It's dangerously close to my wallet.

Haven't been to Eastwoods. Have known about it for years. Maybe I can get out there for the May open house.

I stole this off their FB page:
If it was closer I would definitely consider making a trip there.....it's 2.5hrs from me. I too have been wanting to visit that place for years.

If you do go please post your findings.

If it was closer I would definitely consider making a trip there.....it's 2.5hrs from me. I too have been wanting to visit that place for years.

If you do go please post your findings.
It's an hour and a half for me (or more depending on Beltway, I 66 traffic. Have a look at their Facebook page if you can and look at the photos--LOTS of maples, some larger ones too if my eyesight isn't too far gone. Worth the trip. I've driven by the location a few times on the way to other destinations. Kicking myself for not calling ahead so I could get in...

It's an hour and a half for me (or more depending on Beltway, I 66 traffic. Have a look at their Facebook page if you can and look at the photos--LOTS of maples, some larger ones too if my eyesight isn't too far gone. Worth the trip. I've driven by the location a few times on the way to other destinations. Kicking myself for not calling ahead so I could get in...
Oh you need an appointment?

Back
Top Bottom