Little dipper cotoneaster

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi I recently picked up a 1gal cotoneaster little dipper from a local nursery going out of business. Price was good and I was drawn to it for some reason. Any way I was thinking of maybe trying to use as practice for turning nursery stock into bonsai as I'm newer to bonsai and am learning. I haven't found anything on people using this kind as bonsai so I'm not sure if it'll work. It's a low grower more of a ground cover used alot atop of walls to hang over so thinking maybe good for a cascade. Has anyone ever worked with this type? Any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• 20240413_180644_HDR.jpg
    20240413_180644_HDR.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 36

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems to me, the growing pattern , the foliage, flowers and berries in your cotoneaster procumbens are very similar to those on my cotoneaster microphylius.....

JMK_3717.jpg

I'm developing three cuttings I took from mine and they look exactly like yours. Just apply wire ASAP to give the main trunk, a good initial shape....

Last edited:

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It seems to me, the growing pattern , the foliage, flowers and berries in your cotoneaster procumbens are very similar to those on my cotoneaster microphylius.....

View attachment 540136

I'm developing three cuttings I took from mine and they look exactly like yours. Just apply wire ASAP to give the main trunk, a good initial shape....
It doesn't really have a main trunk except maybe that thick part in front of picture going over side of pot. About 1 inch above soil it is a thick ball were all the branches come out in every direction the big branches seam to thick to bend upright. I'll have to look at it better and clean it up to see whats there to work with.
Thanks

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a pair of them now, one just started from nursery stock like yours. That one, I am just focusing on getting into bonsai soil, will probably be a clump style. The other, I have been wiring and cutting in for way too long too be as undeveloped as it is. Great trees, good luck with yours

B

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4130.jpeg
    IMG_4130.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4072.jpeg
    IMG_4072.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7439.jpeg