Lions head nursery stock.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello guys, I’m a new bonsai enthusiast. I have successfully pruned and wired a hanoki cypress, for a first tree. I am very pleased with the results and the process. so now I have this maple tree, with a half decent graft on it and a few limbs. I would love to get some suggestions on what steps you would take with it. I’m really interested in having a maple tree that leans, as opposed to a straight upright. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_7801.jpeg
    IMG_7801.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 42

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
For a leaning tree you'll need roots that are a bit higher on one side than the other or be able to prune roots to make it so. You have not shown us the roots on this one so it's not possible to decide which way to tilt it if at all.
Try to remember if the tree doesn't have what it takes it is pointless trying to force it into your predetermined mold.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Shibui ok, that makes sense, do not force the tree to look like something that it can’t be. later on this weekend I’ll cut down the pot and expose some of the roots and post an updated picture. Thank you.

Top Bottom