Let's see your chainsaws!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the season when a lot of people cut firewood. As I don't burn wood myself, I do cut wood since I own acreage full of white Oak and Red oak.
I also collect older saws... I think they are fun!
Here are my two favs.image.jpeg

Where's Frary!?

Love that picture Brian!

Sorce

:)

images

Where's Frary!?

Love that picture Brian!

Sorce
Even though I use the things at work I don't own a single one anymore. People either want to borrow them or they want you to use them. I get enough of them at work.
I could post pictures of them but they are only chainsaws. Not antique back breakers like Stickroot has. I had one of those things and sold it a couple years ago.

Is it hard to get certified to fall those guys for work out your way?
Not really. I do the training for our area.
I took a course to get certified. Most guys it takes a day to go through the training to get certified in tree felling. But we don't turn greener guys loose on the monsters.
Trees like those are just for guys that have been doing it a good long while. It's somewhat dangerous. Well very dangerous. But fun too.

Not really. I do the training for our area.
I took a course to get certified. Most guys it takes a day to go through the training to get certified in tree felling. But we don't turn greener guys loose on the monsters.
Trees like those are just for guys that have been doing it a good long while. It's somewhat dangerous. Well very dangerous. But fun too.

Around here according to worksafe regs a worker can not fall a tree with greater than 7" diameter at breast height without a fallers certificate. To get that nowadays I think it's about 12 grand and six months for the course. Before the regs came into place I did a lot of falling for work, had a week long falling course behind me, years of saw experience and lots of time working with very experienced fallers. A few years back I could have challenged the exam and gotten grandfathered in without the current course, wish I had. Now I can only fall for personal use not employment.
If you use the top of the bar at all you will fail the exam here too and you need a full wraparound handle. Don't use a wedge you fail. Have a tear in your saw pants you fail. Mostly they look at the stumps for the exam, rate them out of ten and you fall ten trees, can't remember how many points you can lose, not many.
Historically it's been the profession with the highest fatality percentages in the province. Usually young guys just starting or old dogs getting complacent.

dogs getting complacent
In our business it's the old complacent guys who get it the most.
I am in a position now where I just tell the guys what to do and occasionally run equipment when I'm not riding around certifying guys in tree felling.
Plus I'm the one they call to drop the big nasty trees because I'm large enough to handle a Husqvarna 3120 with a 6 foot bar. That's 120cc. A small dirt bike engine.
It rips!

Back
Top Bottom