Larch Air layer

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A23CAA0A-8864-4881-BC8E-558ACE94196B.jpeg

I wired this larch up today and after speaking with my teacher and contemplating options, I have decided that I want to air layer the top off and use one of the lower branches for a new apex and create two trees.
Does anyone have experience with Air layering Larch. I am wondering when is the best time. I’m in NH zone 5.
🙏🏽

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the absolute best . Wild collected. Larch in North America . Is in Northern east USA and Canada . Found in natural wet moss boys . What happens . Is the trees grow. Naturally but the bog water level and moss level rises around the tree .the level even a foot or 2 deep is wet and acidic . So to survive the tree. Naturally layers itself into the top thin layer of moss . What is collected is the existing top of the tree . Great. Material . But hard to find and in a nasty bug infested swamp . The larch survive because if there ability to self layer so they air layer very easily with very high percentage of success . Start in spring should be able to severe in the fall I don’t have larch (. Never found a nice one or a great bog) but the practice is very common good luck

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the absolute best . Wild collected. Larch in North America . Is in Northern east USA and Canada . Found in natural wet moss boys . What happens . Is the trees grow. Naturally but the bog water level and moss level rises around the tree .the level even a foot or 2 deep is wet and acidic . So to survive the tree. Naturally layers itself into the top thin layer of moss . What is collected is the existing top of the tree . Great. Material . But hard to find and in a nasty bug infested swamp . The larch survive because if there ability to self layer so they air layer very easily with very high percentage of success . Start in spring should be able to severe in the fall I don’t have larch (. Never found a nice one or a great bog) but the practice is very common good luck
Thank you!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NP . I like your tree I’ have a real like for native stuff . Just have not found a good larch . Nick Lenz wrote a book Bonsai from the wild . He is a bit of a eccentric . And unfortunate the book is out of print . And people want stupid money for a copy . But his larch knowledge . In the book is first rate . If you get the chance to borrow a copy at a club . Do not turn it down . He is a character but his trees speak for themselves .

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NP . I like your tree I’ have a real like for native stuff . Just have not found a good larch . Nick Lenz wrote a book Bonsai from the wild . He is a bit of a eccentric . And unfortunate the book is out of print . And people want stupid money for a copy . But his larch knowledge . In the book is first rate . If you get the chance to borrow a copy at a club . Do not turn it down . He is a character but his trees speak for themselves .
Great, thank you! I appreciate your response:)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Did this work out for you? I hope it did. I am looking to airlayer 2-3 American larch this next season.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine bridged the area I ringed the bark. So I cut it off without the layer to keep the primary tree moving forward.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can vouch for the self layering that Am. larch in a bog can accomplish. The photo shows what I cut off below the water surface on a tree I collected from a bog. I thought at first it was a tap root, but it is in fact a dead portion of the trunk below where the tree self layered closer to the surface.At the top you can see a small section of what was live bark. Based on the rings, this tree was 40 yrs old at the time of the collection. On a cautionary note though, this does not mean it is easy to air layer a larch. I tried to air layer several branches on large larches growing on dry land and they failed. Perhaps to mimic nature, one should keep the air layer very wet.IMG_4189.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I can vouch for the self layering that Am. larch in a bog can accomplish. The photo shows what I cut off below the water surface on a tree I collected from a bog. I thought at first it was a tap root, but it is in fact a dead portion of the trunk below where the tree self layered closer to the surface.At the top you can see a small section of what was live bark. Based on the rings, this tree was 40 yrs old at the time of the collection. On a cautionary note though, this does not mean it is easy to air layer a larch. I tried to air layer several branches on large larches growing on dry land and they failed. Perhaps to mimic nature, one should keep the air layer very wet.View attachment 515774
That’s what I’ve heard, and read from other posts.
@mattspinniken had good success with his, so I’m going to try and mimic his procedure.

I believe he used a cut nursery can filled with sphagnum Moss and akadama, then watered it regularly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s what I’ve heard, and read from other posts.
@mattspinniken had good success with his, so I’m going to try and mimic his procedure.

I believe he used a cut nursery can filled with sphagnum Moss and akadama, then watered it regularly.
Yes it works on Larch. It can also work on very old collected Larch. You are exactly right about my process.

Top Bottom