Lance's JBP....

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As always Lance,

you get 10 to 20 victims of the same type - e.g J.B.Pines
Break out da notebook.

Test one idea at a time. When doing research change only one situation or one thing at a time.
This idea is extremely important.
If you change more that one thing, it will confuse and probably kill the experiment.

So for us - example - we grew pines in just an organic to inorganic mix [ you know ]
And observed for 3 years.
[ But when one is 20 or so you can afford to burn up endless time and do other things ]

As long as time is not a problem, I figure you will get there.
Just remember, the Japanese or anyone's stuff you should be looking at, should be the same age
as your work.

To help you along here, with K's permission.

To make a non-toxic clear low-fire glaze ---- 900 deg.C
Using 11 non-toxic oxides.
Prepare to do around 3 months of testing just to get to the temperature you want.
Change only one ingredient [ % needed ] at a time.
Write down.
Test.
Test.
Test .....................................
Result 5 months later ---------- Glaze/temperature achieved.

Next tests for solubility, calculation for glaze fit ................................

Trees can be so much easier.

You will get there............
Good Day
Anthony

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haaaaa!!!! @Adair M said
little progress

Haaaa!!!!! "a little" is "some"!!!!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Hey, I think I made some too.....and I'm learning how to be a Dad at the same time.......so I'm happy, not satisfied.....on both fronts!!:eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And only referred to "dogma" in the context of the discovery that JBP are capable of a second flush. :cool:
I'm going to continue to learn from any source I can, but a lot is all here on @Bonsai Nut !!!!!:):):):):):):):)
And I'm going to keep chugging"!!!!!!:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

View attachment 154642

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 154643

ooppss....that's me, "chugging"!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The person Chris Farley based the character of Matt Foley on is a guy he played rugby with at Marquette U. Father Matt is now my parish priest, he is very positive. After becoming a priest he joined the US Army as a Chaplain and served several tours with the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan when there was still heavy combat.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The person Chris Farley based the character of Matt Foley on is a guy he played rugby with at Marquette U. Father Matt is now my parish priest, he is very positive. After becoming a priest he joined the US Army as a Chaplain and served several tours with the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan when there was still heavy combat.

I do recall you mentioning that!:cool: I miss how great Chris made everyone feel with his great passion for comedy and entertainment.....:(

And I bet Father Matt would have a pretty sweet spot, in a van..well, you know the rest!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK Lance.....

I feel you..... but you can't hate on Sifu!

I watched this last night and I want a JBP bad as hell!

And....
Please don't miss the POINT of this one ......
You don't even have to watch the video!

@WeeMac tell daddy get with the program...or all your misting is for nothing!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Start the Mirai videos at 50minutes

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OK Lance.....

I feel you..... but you can't hate on Sifu!

I watched this last night and I want a JBP bad as hell!

And....
Please don't miss the POINT of this one ......
You don't even have to watch the video!

@WeeMac tell daddy get with the program...or all your misting is for nothing!

Sorce
Sorce, there is a reason that JBP are "The King of Bonsai". They respond really well to bonsai techniques. They're flexible, make great bark at a young age, and the needles can be reduced to any length you want.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Big day today....
walken2.gif

Reason to dance.......
WALKEN.gif

To celebrate the birthday of the pillar of American Bonsai @William N. Valavanis If not a global benefactor!!!! I don't think he can ever get enough recognition

Today would have been Jim Lewis' 80th birthday. In a particular irony, it's also the birthday of my personal patron, my Pops!! Jim would shred me over on the IBC and my pops has been there from day one!

So let's tilt a glass to this big day and remember that any conversation about American Bonsai starts with Bill and then you can sprinkle whatever flavor of the moment over that.
Cuz' with out the "meat and potatoes" , steak sauce and sour cream seem a little less appetizing!!!:eek::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's ok to disagree though....heheheee....but you'll be sorry...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)
walken4.gif

In lesser news, it's @Clicio birthday too....:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now, back to flaming my JBP......:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
looking vigorous! When is your first frost expected. Did you stop ferts after decandling for a few weeks? Looking nice and healthy.

I candle cut one pine at the very end of what i believe to be my window and am now getting a little nervous that they will have time to extend and harden. Shit!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking vigorous! When is your first frost expected. Did you stop ferts after decandling for a few weeks? Looking nice and healthy.

I candle cut one pine at the very end of what i believe to be my window and am now getting a little nervous that they will have time to extend and harden. Shit!

Sorry about a bit of confusion....the previous pictures from July were of two other trees. This one was not pruned this summer.

If you can sift thru my nonsense in some posts and read the pertinent stuff in this thread, you can see I'm using a more, I guess, old school approach. Something more akin to a single flush Pine.

And now the heresy.....cutting in the prescribed "window" gave lesser results than pruning the third week of August. In my climate.

Frost dates? Usually third week of October, but I only worry about November frosts. My winter storage does seem to afford me 1-2 weeks of cushion, some protection from an actual "hard frost"
I don't feed much in July anyway, but heavy until then. I'm a little stingy with the chem fert, mostly organic pelletized stuff, Miracid with some end of season fish/kelp...

Disclaimer....don't listen to me, I'm @sorce -shit crazy!!!!!;):cool::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah ok. I thought that but saw the cut candle pic followed up by your bushy pic from today and thought you made a deal with the devil!
Either way it looks good. I enjoy the trees you share with us.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah ok. I thought that but saw the cut candle pic followed up by your bushy pic from today and thought you made a deal with the devil!
Either way it looks good. I enjoy the trees you share with us.

Wow!! Hey, thanks my friend!!:):):):) Feelings reciprocal!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

A long way from doing things "right", I'm just here on the ranch learning. Long way to go, but I love the ride.

This tree will improve. Slowly...;):D:D:D:D:D

Thanks so much again, and I get stoked when I see some of your great material when you share!!:eek::p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom