Lance's JBP....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh... One more rule of thumb:

The lowest branch on the composition should be on the smaller tree.

Lance, your tree has the lowest branch on the smaller tree, so that's good!

This tree has great potential. With a little work, some time, and application of the correct technique at the right time, this tree could be a very nice twin trunk.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, one more thing...

The primary trunk should be the one that's the most vertical. Yours has the smaller tree nearly vertical. Next time you repot, change the potting angle.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am really impressed with the growth you got here!
However, please read that as, this tree Looks weak and ill.
So you dont do too much too fast!

Have you come up with a trunk for shortening, or an Angle?

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think the tree looks pretty healthy, but as you mentioned, when you got it, health was pretty weak. Going slow may be a good idea. If you leave a good scattering of old needles, when you candle prune in June, say of 2017, or 2018, you can go back 2 or sometimes 3 years, if you still have some older needles on the section you prune back to.

I've had many JBP failures, few successes, most failures were thinking a JBP was 'healthy' and ready, when it wasn't strong enough. Right now my oldest JBP has been with me less than 5 years, started over so to speak. So not sure you should follow my suggestions or not.

I like Adair's thoughts toward final design. Second trunk being 2/3rds height of first.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would even be interested in having this very healthy looking tree to work on. Rather than change planting angle would heavy wire smaller trunk and bend away from other as well as adding movement to it. Could either shorten smaller trunk at 3rd obvious branch as suggested OR bend to make shorter and more interesting;). Also would bend tops of both downward in opposite directions.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whos trees are these and where is he please?o_O
That tree is a Kokonoe Japanese White Pine. It's owned by a friend of mine who plans to show it at the 2016 National Show in Rochester. It is quite a large tree.

The other twin trunk I posted in an earlier post with the first tree is owned by me. It's is a Zuisho Japanese White Pine. It's just been repotted.

image.jpeg

This picture was taken during the "pot selection phase" of repotting. So the new soil hasn't been added yet. I'm not entirely happy with the pot. I think the lines are too hard. But the size was good. The nebari is unusually large, so the tree needs a big pot.

I prefer this pot:

image.jpeg

And it just barely fits in. But there's hardly any room for new soil. So we decided to keep this as a show pot, but plant it in the oval for now.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@LanceMac10 firstly, I want to thank you. I am not a strong pine grower and have been avoiding it like the plague. A recent class allowed me to see that pines aren't the red headed step children that I see them to be. There was a time during the lecture about how you will know when it's time to repot the tree when the mycorrhizae appears in the root tips. I always wanted to see what that'll look like and there it is. thank you again!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey lieuz!! Absorb all the knowledge you can from guy's like Adair and BVF. They really have JBP refinement dialed in. Pines have certain methods that need to be used at appropriate times. Most of the time while in your care, all you will be doing is feeding and watering. And of course, the best way to learn how to grow Pines is to actually grow them. Study them and record how they react to each insult you commit on them. When to repot? Most likely when the water drains thru really slow.....then wait until next year!! Heheheee....only the previous owner could tell you when the last repot for this tree was, at least 5-6 years.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, in the midst of waiting on WeeMac hand and foot on a random August day , I said to myself, "Hey Self, don't you wonder how small you can get needles on a JBP?"
Out comes the "Practice Pine" and let's find out! The answer is, pretty damn small!!:D
DSC01397.JPG

DSC01398.JPG

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seeing the same plus new terminal buds forming on one of the branches of my JBP. :)
Just curious, NH, what's your decandling date? Here in SK , average first date minus 100 days (for a one session decandling) gives me the June 20th. I'm fascinated how the branches of JBP are autonomous.

...and my little corticosa is def. dead, how is yours?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dead as a doorstop!!! Too much root removal I believe was the cause.

Proper de-candling around the same time as you, I suppose. First frost here comes towards the end of October.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Lance, in my case I still think the cause of its dead was bad time of acquiring... nursery soil and wintering. I'll know more next spring, after the first winter of my new JBPs. They're strong enough, so I'll see. But one seedling has spent two winters in the open ground and this means hope for me.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could probably get away with a bit later, after this most recent "experiment"......
DSC01327.JPG

I've had this one on a 5 year plan to get it as vigorous as possible before I applied the now universally used spring de-candling.
Got to this point using the dated technique of fall cutback. It's really done wonders for it's vitality.

Please note, I'm a hobbyist and I'm just winging it. But this forum is incredible, with so much information from top-notch growers!! Though I'm sure most of them think I'm a clown!!:D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom