Korean Hornbeam

TR8Driver

Sapling
Reaction score
I repotted my Korean Hornbeam today, and I thought I would share. I've had this tree for 35 or so years, starting out as a pencil-thick trunks in a 4" pot. It had a strange bend high up, and I attempted to air-layer that off, but it didn't take. This first picture I can find of it was from 2004, when I had it in the ground. The following year it was in a pot, but soon after it went back into the ground. I don't recall exactly how long it stayed there, but mostly the only attention it got was a hedge clipper type styling.

The first shot of the tree in the Anderson flat is from last summer, the bare shot was this morning, I believe it has been in that flat for at least 5 years, maybe as many as 10. I did some major work to flatten the rootball when it went into the flat, so it didn't take a ton of work to get the rootball in shape. I did try to thin out the roots on the one side where most appear to be growing, and I also removed any large downward-growing roots.

I'm not sure what the exact front will be, or even too much of an idea on styling yet. One idea is to extend the hollow that is about 1/3 of the way up, which would allow me to also reduce the lump in the trunk just below it. I'm also still considering what the ultimate height should be.

HPIM0025.JPGIMG_0954.JPGIMG_2707.jpegIMG_3037.jpegIMG_3038.jpegIMG_3041.jpeg

It is a very interesting tree with lots of history for you. Looking forward to seeing it in full bloom!

Back
Top Bottom