Knowing is only half the battle

Zeki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my first forum post, So hello! This is also my first step into the world on bonsai, so like many I am nervous about making some bad decisions, and altogether not sure on what to keep in mind either.

From the research I have done I've decided to go with a ficus as I hear they are very forgiving plants for bonsai, and are great to learn from. What I'm not too sure on is what type of the fig to choose. I've read that Meehan's is a very safe place to buy from, but they have so many variations of ficusses I'm a bit overwhelmed! I think I would like the look of the smaller leafed variations more, but I'm not sure what impact that would have on the tree, if any, compared to the broad leafed variation or if it is purely aesthetic. As far a species, I was thinking the Dwarf Weeping Fig (Benjamina) or the South African Fig (Burtt-davyi) but am not sure if any special things need to be kept in mind for either variety.

I also am having a hard time on finding bonsai accessory websites, and what accessories are absolutely necessary. I understand wire is needed and fertilizer can be bought at any store (B4Me erased the thought of using plain old miracle-gro thanks to its NPK education), but the special shears that are posted at $60-$150 are just simply ridiculous for me to justify in purchasing when a pair of smaller pruning shears or some of my smaller wire cutters will do the same.

Thank you for reading that wall of text, and I really look forward to learning more about bonsai and partaking in to community. I'm so eager to start as I have been researching and thinking about starting the hobby for a few weeks now! I just can't wait till I place the order and get my happy little plant started!

I like the willow leaf ficus. Give it full sun and it will really do well. It responds to defoliation better than benjamina for me. You will have to bring it indoors when temps are below 50 degrees. The more light you give it indoors the better it will do. Check Wigert's Bonsai for really nice plants reasonably priced.

You do not need special bonsai shears but I would suggest getting a good quality concave pruner.

Welcome and good luck

I love my Ficus B.. They are very forgiving and just about bulletproof. I don't recommend this but I even cut 100% of the roots off to shorten the space between the nebari and first branch and it grew all new roots in a matter of months. They are also very easy to take cuttings from and start new trees. Soon enough you will have dozens and not know what to do with them.

As for tools. When I first started I used a good sharp pair of scissors. The type you would get in a cutting block for cutting chicken and such but I now do have good shears and concave cutters. I think I paid $60 for my shears and would spend another $60+ to replace them. Concave cutters were about the same price I think. They should be your first purchas. Check out Dallas bonsai. They sell great tools but yes they are pricey. As for the rest of my tools I use just basic hand tools. Needle nose pliers and channel lock pliers for my jin work and a $25 pair of channel lock flat tip wire cutters.

I have been disappointed with ficus (tropical in general). I really like the ficus and they have done well in the spring and summer outdoors but they have to be protected inside in the winter even here in Alabama. It probably is a humidity issue for me during the winter.

Tools are pricey! FWIW, I bought cheap tools on ebay when I first started and I think I have now replaced all of them with much higher quality tools. If you decide to spring for some of the better tools, let me suggest you check out California Bonsai Studio. I have found that Travis Goldstein usually has a somewhat better price and he will frequently run the Masakuni tools on sale. I have been been very pleased with Travis' service and shipping. I am attaching his link for you to check out.

www.californiabonsai.com

So I made my purchase today and think It should be fine. I ordered Bonsai Outlet's Ficus do it yourself kit. I couldn't spend enough money on Meehan's to be eligible for shipping (min $25 dollar purchase), and the kit had other starting items I would need and wasn't too bad a price. It should be here within 7 business days or so, and I am very excited!

Zeki, all Ficus varieties are very forgiving in Bonsai culture. They are also easy to find decent buys on, buy one from Home depot or Lowes or Wal-Mart for $15-$25 bucks, for that price you can find one 5 foot tall or bigger at times. Then you just hack the trunk off. If you want some fun and good experience then air layer a few of the thicker upper branches, take some cuttings from the thinner stems and pot them up, the air layers will be ready in 6-8 weeks. This is all easy stuff to accomplish on Ficus. They do have to be protected in cold weather, but are easy plants to keep thriving. The leaves will get smaller after defoliation on Ficus, also keeping them in full sun makes the leaves smaller too. In the winter its a good idea to have a grow light over them, just keep them from drying out for too long, usually I water them each evening and they do fine. I have several types of Ficus, Microcarpa, Taiwan, Tiger Bark and Benjamina.

Have fun !

ed

Back
Top Bottom