Kingsville Boxwood cuttings

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
So this it a cutting going on two years old.
Next spring I will repot it in to fine bonsai soil.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpeg
    IMG_2822.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2821.jpeg
    IMG_2821.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 83
I think the Kingsville is far superior to other boxwood and similar plants. You do have to be patient but the pay off is clear.

Yes,
You have to be in it for the long game.

My idea was to re create the NC Arboretum rock mountain seen.
Not sure what type of juniper they used, but they used small boxwoods for the look of small trees among the junipers.

Any ways that’s the plan.
Here are a few I have been growing out.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpeg
    IMG_2828.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 63
Yes,
You have to be in it for the long game.

My idea was to re create the NC Arboretum rock mountain seen.
Not sure what type of juniper they used, but they used small boxwoods for the look of small trees among the junipers.

Any ways that’s the plan.
Here are a few I have been growing out.

Thanks
I'm guessing those have been growing about 5 years. Based on your 2 year cuttings. Am I about right on that?

I'm trying to gauge how long my cuttings have until they are workable

I'm guessing those have been growing about 5 years. Based on your 2 year cuttings. Am I about right on that?

I'm trying to gauge how long my cuttings have until they are workable
Yea they are over five for sure, I’m really bad about keeping records.
I just like growing plants and propagating, @cmeg1 provided the information on the grow blocks, they seem to work for some plants.

Thanks

Great work on those! Did you take them in spring before growth? I have one in the ground and it doubled in size in a year. It also grew a leader about 12 inches this spring. I had it in a pot but it never really made gains. I bought it as a cutting so it was small and still is.

whenever I work on the boxwood I keep all viable cuttings, seems to be more productive in the fall, September, October time frame, I have a few I just look at, and they are on life support, I think they were taken in the May June time frame last year. We had a really hard freeze in early December, 9 degrees it kill a bunch of my starters.

Thanks

whenever I work on the boxwood I keep all viable cuttings, seems to be more productive in the fall, September, October time frame, I have a few I just look at, and they are on life support, I think they were taken in the May June time frame last year. We had a really hard freeze in early December, 9 degrees it kill a bunch of my starters.

Thanks
Trust me I remember that freeze. It killed all my maple layers from the previous year. Some had a great future. I learned a lot from that freeze.

Sorry to hear that.
I was in the same boat, no place for protection, live or die on the bench, that's the only option I have.

thanks

Great work on those! Did you take them in spring before growth? I have one in the ground and it doubled in size in a year. It also grew a leader about 12 inches this spring. I had it in a pot but it never really made gains. I bought it as a cutting so it was small and still is.
I've got a couple growing out in a large 15 gallon container, they have grown more quickly than I expected. I haven't looked at the trunks though, I assume not much gain there.

I've got a couple growing out in a large 15 gallon container, they have grown more quickly than I expected. I haven't looked at the trunks though, I assume not much gain there.
I got to get into a crawling position to see lol but I can see much better gains on the trunk then in the gallon pot I had it in for like 4 years. You should check them out and see. It was a cutting from plant city.

Please post some pictures of your Kingsville boxwoods,
A 15 gallon pot is huge for a boxwood (kingsville)

I've got a couple growing out in a large 15 gallon container, they have grown more quickly than I expected. I haven't looked at the trunks though, I assume not much gain th

These are Japanese boxwoods, so the label stated.
They were frost burnt and neglected, they had to use a hoe and shovel to remove the pot from the ground.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom