Harland vs Kingsville boxwood

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m looking at a Harland boxwood but the nursery said in a couple of months they would have Kingsville boxwoods coming in which would I be better off getting the Harland is 8 years and Kingsvilles are over 10 but they are roughly the same size. Also does one live longer than the other

We have kinda covered this in your past two posts about boxwood. When you first brought this up I suggested Kingsville over Harland. You need to go back and read what has been posted.
Either of these boxwood will outlive you if cared for.

I’m looking at a Harland boxwood but the nursery said in a couple of months they would have Kingsville boxwoods coming in which would I be better off getting the Harland is 8 years and Kingsvilles are over 10 but they are roughly the same size. Also does one live longer than the other
Skip the Harland, not worth the extra overwintering effort it will require. It is also not as good for bonsai as Kingsville, or any of the smaller leaved varieties of Buxus Microphylla (Japanese boxwood).

Life expectancy is about 300th on the list of reasons to get a tree. Not important. Actual age is not important either. It's about 200th on the list (unless you're working with actual ancient stock, like over 100 years).

What is important is hardiness and ability to LOOK old. Kingsville has many factors that make it an excellent choice for bonsai--tiny leaves and good "believable" trunks, even on smaller trees. It naturally grows tight leaves that can be a pain to keep in line, as they get dense, but lend themselves to very nice foliage silhouttes.

Kingsville and other tiny leafed varieties of B. Microphylla (Wintergreen, compacta, Koreana, and others ) tend to be extremely winter hardy and tough. They work into pretty nice little (and even tiny) bonsai. I've had Kingsville and Koreana cultivars for decades. They can work into extremely shallow pots. If you're looking at stock plants, get the one with the largest trunk you can find. Kingsvilles are extremely slow growing, so bigger is better--and probably more expensive). I picked this one up 15 years ago from a woman in MD who has stock from the nursery that originated the variety. It had been field grown for 20 years or so from a cutting. Worked it into shape and into that pot within three years of getting it.

Attachments

• kingsville2.jpg
    kingsville2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 40
Skip the Harland, not worth the extra overwintering effort it will require. It is also not as good for bonsai as Kingsville, or any of the smaller leaved varieties of Buxus Microphylla (Japanese boxwood).

Life expectancy is about 300th on the list of reasons to get a tree. Not important. Actual age is not important either. It's about 200th on the list (unless you're working with actual ancient stock, like over 100 years).

What is important is hardiness and ability to LOOK old. Kingsville has many factors that make it an excellent choice for bonsai--tiny leaves and good "believable" trunks, even on smaller trees. It naturally grows tight leaves that can be a pain to keep in line, as they get dense, but lend themselves to very nice foliage silhouttes.

Kingsville and other tiny leafed varieties of B. Microphylla (Wintergreen, compacta, Koreana, and others ) tend to be extremely winter hardy and tough. They work into pretty nice little (and even tiny) bonsai. I've had Kingsville and Koreana cultivars for decades. They can work into extremely shallow pots. If you're looking at stock plants, get the one with the largest trunk you can find. Kingsvilles are extremely slow growing, so bigger is better--and probably more expensive). I picked this one up 15 years ago from a woman in MD who has stock from the nursery that originated the variety. It had been field grown for 20 years or so from a cutting. Worked it into shape and into that pot within three years of getting it.
Life expectancy is a top priority in my decisions. As I planted a tree when my son was born. The nursery didn't think of the short lifespan. It's now...on it's last leg. I won't go through that disappointment in time in training to watch a tree fade out from no fault of my own.

Life expectancy is a top priority in my decisions. As I planted a tree when my son was born. The nursery didn't think of the short lifespan. It's now...on it's last leg. I won't go through that disappointment in time in training to watch a tree fade out from no fault of my own.
I totally get that but most boxwoods live for centuries.

I totally get that but most boxwoods live for centuries.
It was referring to the comment of "300th on list of concerns comment...for life expectancy " I won't intentionally buy a tree for bonsai with a lifespan of 12- 15 years intentionally. Especially if it's been in training awhile. That time frame to enjoy is much shorter.

Boxwood...don't they have an issue with blight that can kill them? I think I recall that years back being an issue.

I also responded to your earlier post and I seem to be the only one with a harland on my bench. If you can find one at a reasonable price I'd get it. The leaves are tiny and it has miniature flowers and is easy to care for. They grow extremely slow. That may be why they ask a lot for them but I think the price you showed is unreasonable. Unless you can find one at 65.00 or less I wouldn't get it.

Keep an eye on Ebay. I've never bothered with finding a plant at a nursery and that's an option but only if you're plant savvy and know how to separate a large plant. If money's no object just get the one you want and enjoy it. As you've read they're both easy to care for and live a long time.

Here's a nice Harland bonsai for sale on Ebay. It's 42.99 buy it now. It has 44 watchers so you probably need to hurry if you want it. It's a fair price.

WOW, i couldn't resist mentioning these too.
there are two more at 295.00 and one at 320. Absolutely insane. Better get the reasonable one fast!

If you are new to this hobby, I would also consider just getting some common -CHEAP-nursery boxwoods to work with.

Green Velvet and Green Mountain boxwoods are a dime a dozen here in Minnesota.
8” pot size around 10$
I wait to see them for 5$ In the clearance sections. 🤣
They are compact with small leaves.

Not sure what’s available by you though.

Here's a nice Harland bonsai for sale on Ebay. It's 42.99 buy it now. It has 44 watchers so you probably need to hurry if you want it. It's a fair price.

That is an excellent deal however I ordered one yesterday, very excited for it arrival

Have you noticed the folks recommending the Harlandii are in Fla.? Just sayin...

Back
Top Bottom