Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
69fc512f7405d8e6ada4391806b3ae89--the-karate-kid--s.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
"Close eye, clear mind, think tree, just tree... now make tree look like picture"

How do I know the picture is right?

"If come from inside you, it is right picture"

Or something like that... sounds like a lot of philosophical crap floating around here lately! ;)

He had Daniel-San working on a big Pro-Nana and gave Daniel's Mom some sort of Deciduos it appeared... maybe a Barberry or something like that..

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I took Karate for a while after this movie came out, but not nearly as long as I have done Bonsai!

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I might get some hate for saying this but I did not enjoy it. I bet the one from 2010 is just as bad or worse. To keep it simple, this film seemed ignorant to at least martial arts and the "wax on wax off" routine was so extensively dramatized. It was painful to watch. I barfed on all the cheese and felt gross from it. Sorry not sorry!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THE FIRST GLIMPSE OF
BONSAI FOR MANY AMERICANS! Scene hasn't come on yet... just a heads up!

the Karate Kid is ALWAYS on AMC and other channels from my cable provider. I see it on the schedule at least once a week. A few months ago, it was on three channels at the same time one Saturday afternoon...;-)

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I might get some hate for saying this but I did not enjoy it. I bet the one from 2010 is just as bad or worse. To keep it simple, this film seemed ignorant to at least martial arts and the "wax on wax off" routine was so extensively dramatized. It was painful to watch. I barfed on all the cheese and felt gross from it. Sorry not sorry!

It wasn't supposed to be a documentary about karate. It was about an odd-couple friendship and racism/classism.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bet the one from 2010 is just as bad or worse.
It's much worse.
There was also a sequel about "the next karate kid" that starred Hillary Swank. You don't need to see that movie.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was 6 years old when it came out... None of that stuff mattered. It was a movie about Karate, so it kicked ass. Literally.

I think you are taking it way too serious if you are evaluating the validity of Mr. Miyagi's training techniques!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If we are going to do the too in-depth break downs- This movie was so popular because it was a perfect embodiment of 80s pop culture-

It was Leathal Weapn meets Rocky with all the popular undertones of the time- out of control youth, classism, coupled with a somewhat uncommon /exotic culturally relevant "sport"- they even mixed some drugs in (Johnny was rolling a J when Daniel-San doused him with the hose..)- basically everything the 80s was about wrapped up in one movie with a SO 80s sound track! If they had just been able to get Russia and Aids mixed in...

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
The Bonsai in Karate Kid were from the personal collection of Pat Morita who was a Master Bonsai Guy...

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Do the movie credits list a nursery or thank a person for the trees? It was filmed in the SF Valley, any insights @bonsaibp?
The trees used came from Roy Nagatoshi's dad Shig from Fuji Bonsai in Sylmar and maybe a couple from George Yamaguchi. The stunt doubles were dead trunks with foliage from live trees wired on.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Its a movie not a martial arts or bonsai training film. And it was from the 80's what do you expect. As cheesy as it was it made bonsai known to generations.

Top Bottom