Just started… sort of + tree id

kgrows94

Seed
Reaction score
So I started my journey into bonsai two years ago with the Tulipoplar below and added the two blue spruce and unidentified maple all saplings I just found in the yard but I found a new tree (last two pictures) that I was hoping someone could ID and it’s fall here but a weird warm snap caused some new growth and my lilacs to bloom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 43

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi kgrow,

Where are you located? Knowing this helps when people give advice.
Based off the bud and leaf shapes, it looks like your mystery tree could be a mulberry. I could be wrong but that’s what my first thought was.
The blue spruce don’t quite look like blue spruce to me. I don’t see the right buds. And the needles, although bluish in hue, appear different. Perhaps you have eastern red cedar still exhibiting juvenile foliage.

also…. Not sure that’s a maple in pic 3. It looks more like sycamore or London plane tree. A close up of the buds would help identify it. Is the branching pattern opposite or alternating? Maples have an opposite branching pattern.

Lastly, tulip trees are great.

erc in photo 1. Blue spruce photo 2

Attachments

• 88A8C2B7-F83D-452D-B1E8-EEE06BF09A7F.png
    88A8C2B7-F83D-452D-B1E8-EEE06BF09A7F.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 16F72203-781D-4151-B33E-62FE24EAB98C.jpeg
    16F72203-781D-4151-B33E-62FE24EAB98C.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

kgrows94

Seed
Reaction score
Could be. I’m only saying that because it was growing right under one of my Spruce

kgrows94

Seed
Reaction score
Hi kgrow,

Where are you located? Knowing this helps when people give advice.
Based off the bud and leaf shapes, it looks like your mystery tree could be a mulberry. I could be wrong but that’s what my first thought was.
The blue spruce don’t quite look like blue spruce to me. I don’t see the right buds. And the needles, although bluish in hue, appear different. Perhaps you have eastern red cedar still exhibiting juvenile foliage.

also…. Not sure that’s a maple in pic 3. It looks more like sycamore or London plane tree. A close up of the buds would help identify it. Is the branching pattern opposite or alternating? Maples have an opposite branching pattern.

Lastly, tulip trees are great.

erc in photo 1. Blue spruce photo 2
As for location eastern PA roughly halfway between NYC and Philadelphia, and thanks on the ID’s mulberry would be cool and there are several in the area

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I had a couple "spruce" before I had a couple spruce too!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As for location eastern PA roughly halfway between NYC and Philadelphia, and thanks on the ID’s mulberry would be cool and there are several in the area
Juniperus communis is native to your region it seems. Glaucous needle juniper, could very well be communis instead of J. virginia.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like a mulberry. I got one that’s growing and had one in the front yard when growing up. I know those leaves well. So much raking, haha

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
those are red cedar not spruce, it's possible that they are communis but don't appear to be, though it's still early. J. communis is fairly rare in the southern part of it's range. The unidentified tree is mulberry. Almost definitely morus alba, it's an invasive tree that seems to be more common than most native trees where I live. Of course if you live deep in the woods it's certainly possible that it is one of our native red or black mulberries. Those are also rare (where I live).

Top Bottom