Just got a parrots beak. Does everything look alright?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
wondering if 40% bigger pot would make tree bigger. I don’t want it bigger
I doubt you're going to see any noticeable growth in the trunk with a pot that size.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will pruning and putting back in the same pot make the tree stay little? If I repot in a bigger pot will the tree grow bigger?
The only source of water and minerals needed for photosynthesis is collected by the roots. Size matters. The only source of the products of photosynthesis created in the presence of sunlight is the leaves. Size matters. Neither side can make do without the other. The balance of root volume to canopy volume determines how much growth can occur. If an imbalance is too large, the patient will do poorly, or worse.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just re-looked at the OP. That ain't Parrots Beak.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post #8 is Parrots Beak.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe the OP is parrots beak. That is what the OP purchased it as. The ID is probably correct. It does not look significantly different than your photo, @Forsoothe!

What are you seeing that we are not? I think the original ID, parrot's beak is correct.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The leaves are not the characteristic three-lobe shape. But if Leo sees it, it must be there. Maybe it's in disguise or incognito, or a bastard of uncertain heritage?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can't tell what it looks like. That's the problem.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The leaves are not the characteristic three-lobe shape. But if Leo sees it, it must be there. Maybe it's in disguise or incognito, or a bastard of uncertain heritage?
I thought so at first also. but I just looked at mine and the older bigger leaves look like his. The new small leaves have the more distinct three lobe shape.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I want to keep the leaves as small as possible. How can I effectively to that on this tree?
The new leaves are very small. When it's growing well in the summer you can clip it back as the leaves get bigger.

Joshuaskwarek

Sapling
Reaction score
do you all suggest using a small greenhouse with a humidifier inside? It would make it very humid. With parrots beak and brazzilian rain tree?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
do you all suggest using a small greenhouse with a humidifier inside? It would make it very humid. With parrots beak and brazzilian rain tree?

I have grown BRT in the past, do not currently have either. But past experience says they will "limp along" just fine with household humidities. Of course better growth with moderate humidities, but no need to get over 80%. Any level above 30 or 40 % should be just fine.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anything "greenhouse like" needs to be isolated from your residence by an airspace in-between the two. You don't want a greenhouse and its constantly moist air inside your house, it will encourage black mold in areas you didn't know you own. Lights and moisture trays are different, sort of. Healthy growing medium has lots of life of all kinds, including spores of every stripe, good & bad. That's good for the plants and bad for a household. Tropicals in the north that just limp along and then give you a nice summer is typical and while they grow less and slower, are still a good experience and worthwhile. Your lungs and your house need to be kept free of the conditions conducive to Legionnaires kinds of diseases.

Joshuaskwarek

Sapling
Reaction score
Update: she looks very healthy and recovered nicely, added moss. very beautiful tree! DC8CAF40-0759-488D-8ED2-6846FF80485D.jpegDC8CAF40-0759-488D-8ED2-6846FF80485D.jpeg

Attachments

• CAD5B12B-42B9-452A-A290-ED082AC5E655.jpeg
    CAD5B12B-42B9-452A-A290-ED082AC5E655.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom