Juniperus virginiana, The long and winding road to bonsai

This is my best ERC, collected in early 2018. First pic is on collection day after an hour of HEAVY pruning. My avatar pic was taken at a bonsai show two years ago. The last pic is the tree today. Mostly pinching of vigorous sprouts with a lot of scissor work of course. Ooooo, bar branches. Ooooo, branches too low on trunk. Yep, I get it. Doesn't bother me in the least. I love the FEEL of this tree.

100_2032.JPGunnamed (77).jpg

Not bad for an ERC with only 5 years of training if I read it right.
Thanks. It will never be the caliber of a good Japanese black pine or Shimpaku juniper. It's a local native and that's what the draw is for me. Hey...........local trees..........isn't that what the Japanese used for their first bonsai??

This is my best ERC, collected in early 2018. First pic is on collection day after an hour of HEAVY pruning. My avatar pic was taken at a bonsai show two years ago. The last pic is the tree today. Mostly pinching of vigorous sprouts with a lot of scissor work of course. Ooooo, bar branches. Ooooo, branches too low on trunk. Yep, I get it. Doesn't bother me in the least. I love the FEEL of this tree.

Thanks. It will never be the caliber of a good Japanese black pine or Shimpaku juniper. It's a local native and that's what the draw is for me. Hey...........local trees..........isn't that what the Japanese used for their first bonsai??
You're right about that. I'm sure that's ALL they used for a while. But as a fellow Louisianian with generally the same limitations of usable native material. I really like where you're taking this tree and I am honestly inspired. I actually have a handful in-ground rn. I look forward to the updates on this.

You're right about that. I'm sure that's ALL they used for a while. But as a fellow Louisianian with generally the same limitations of usable native material. I really like where you're taking this tree and I am honestly inspired. I actually have a handful in-ground rn. I look forward to the updates on this.
Hey, you're right across the river from me. I am 6 miles from Donaldsonville. If you haven't already, you should join the LBS out of Baton Rouge. Good folks.

I feel you mostly have to find a really nice ERC to start with. Just the run of the mill straight trunked tree can be improved, but it takes a bit of time in a pot. In the ground, you can grow a 2" trunk in a couple of years.

Hey, you're right across the river from me. I am 6 miles from Donaldsonville. If you haven't already, you should join the LBS out of Baton Rouge. Good folks.

I feel you mostly have to find a really nice ERC to start with. Just the run of the mill straight trunked tree can be improved, but it takes a bit of time in a pot. In the ground, you can grow a 2" trunk in a couple of years.
I've been meaning to but need to find out when they meet and schedule a Saturday off. I always have to work weekends unfortunately.

The meetings are on the third Tuesday of the month at Baton Rouge Garden Center on Independence Blvd. Meeting starts at 7:00PM. Guests are always welcome. Only $20.00 a year membership fee. Members get half off on club pots during our twice a year shows.

The meetings are on the third Tuesday of the month at Baton Rouge Garden Center on Independence Blvd. Meeting starts at 7:00PM. Guests are always welcome. Only $20.00 a year membership fee. Members get half off on club pots during our twice a year shows.
Ah ok it's Tuesdays, idk why I thought it was on Saturdays. I'll definitely attend. I look forward to meeting ya if you're there!

View attachment 484032View attachment 484033
Great progress!! almost all scale foliage now right?

Great progress!! almost all scale foliage now right?
Yes. just a couple of pinky-sized tufts of juvenile foliage. It seems like it really settled down after it had been in this same pot for 3 years and not had drastic pruning anywhere. Just for reference, I planted finger-sized ERC in the yard at the same time 5 years ago. I watered and fertilized them almost as much as my bonsai and now a couple of them are 3" in diameter and 9 feet high.

Reactions: GGB
My biggest concern with ERC has always been their susceptibility to cedar-apple-rust but the Bio-organics / Bayer 3-in-1 liquid systemic seemed to completely wipe it away from my ERC. Haven't seen it return at all this year and the spots where it normally shows on the trees is gone. That said, I may be back in the game on the ERC's. I feel the biggest difficulty with them is tight foliage - they are a big stringy - but I think with proper cultivation, they can make great trees.

Does my heart good to find this thread. I’ve got a little guy I pulled from the ground as about a 3 inch tall seedling which made it through winter and has absolutely exploded with growth this year in 100% Fuller’s earth and good feeding. No idea what it will become at this time but I love Cedars. Main concern is I have a promising little crabapple in the collection as well, hoping to be able to keep them both safe from rust through preventative practices.

Back
Top Bottom