Juniper Yamadori Aftercare. Am I doing this right?

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was gifted this yardadori about a month ago. The thick trunk is alive and the curly trunks are deadwood, which I intend to keep. I dug it up and tried to keep most of the 10" diameter root ball intact. I dropped it into this Rural King tote (with drainage holes, of course) and surrounded the root ball with easy draining type mix, a combination of different brands of oil dry, pumice and pine bark. t hasn't exactly taken off and I'm worried about it. I do see some budding going on, but also some yellowing.

So, my question is, should I just leave it alone for the year, or should I repot it with the aim of chop sticking or washing out most of the yard dirt and replacing with bonsai soil?

Thanks.

PXL_20230405_211036139.jpg
PXL_20230405_211004266.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks fine for now and the mix should also be fine. You won’t know wether the tree died or not for awhile. Could be one more month could be six months. In the meantime, you definitely do not want to repot this tree. Not for at least another year or probably two. You should also make sure that it is not sitting in full sun, and mist, the foliage several times a day if that’s available. Don’t cut off any more of that foliage, the tree needs it in order to grow new roots. Once you see that the tree is actively putting on new growth, you can then put it out into full sun.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Here's my proven method for juniper aftercare. I've been collecting for over 25 years and now I get close to 100% survival.
1. Don't obsess over getting a lot of roots. Feeder roots are good but thicker structure roots can go.
2. Wash field soil off the roots with a hose nozzle and remove any dead roots
3. Pot in the smallest pet or box in which it will fit. If the container is too big it will retain moisture and rot the roots .\
4. Plant in 100% pumice sifted to larger than 1/4" size. Absolutely no organic or fine soil.
5. Keep the tree in a cool greenhouse or equivalent with filtered sun.
6. Mist the foliage a minimum of every 4 hours. If you can't manage it yourself set up a timed misting system.
7. Cover the soil surface with something to keep misting water out. You want the soil (pumice) slightly moist but never wet.
8. When new growth begins gradually move the tree to full sun. New growth means actual elongating shoots.

I've tried other methods and killed a lot of junipers before learning this.
Good luck. I hope this one survives but I think the odds are against it unless you start over with it.

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's my proven method for juniper aftercare. I've been collecting for over 25 years and now I get close to 100% survival.
1. Don't obsess over getting a lot of roots. Feeder roots are good but thicker structure roots can go.
3. Pot in the smallest pet or box in which it will fit. If the container is too big it will retain moisture and rot the roots .\
4. Plant in 100% pumice sifted to larger than 1/4" size. Absolutely no organic or fine soil.
6. Mist the foliage a minimum of every 4 hours. If you can't manage it yourself set up a timed misting system.
7. Cover the soil surface with something to keep misting water out. You want the soil (pumice) slightly moist but never wet.
8. When new growth begins gradually move the tree to full sun. New growth means actual elongating shoots.

Good luck. I hope this one survives but I think the odds are against it unless you start over with it.
Okay,, I'm giving it a shot. I washed the roots and put it in pumice. I'll try and post again in a couple of months with an update.

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Can you identify the species?

Attachments

• PXL_20230409_153635412.jpg
    PXL_20230409_153635412.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

what about not bare rooting evergreens?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you pulled it out of the current situation, completely washed the roots and then put it in pumice? If this tree was just collected recently, doing a complete re-pot and bare root one month after digging it up in the first place, in my opinion, is a death sentence. I think you should’ve just left it as it was, and adjusted how you watered it and misted it. Hopefully I’m wrong, but we shall see.

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Thank you for the guide! I'll be trying this with a couple landscape junipers that will be torn out soon.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

So bringing back an older thread for one question:

I have a ton of non-organic bonsai soil (pumice/lava mix - no organic material whatsoever). That should work as well, right? I'm having a hard time finding large bags of pure pumice in my area and I'm planning a yamadori trip in a week. Thanks!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So bringing back an older thread for one question:

I have a ton of non-organic bonsai soil (pumice/lava mix - no organic material whatsoever). That should work as well, right? I'm having a hard time finding large bags of pure pumice in my area and I'm planning a yamadori trip in a week. Thanks!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You can find pumice here for rather cheap, i think about $40 for a half yard. Thats around 30x cheaper than Bonsai Jack, who is charging $40 for 12 quarts. shipping soil is a killer!

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can find pumice here for rather cheap, i think about $40 for a half yard. Thats around 30x cheaper than Bonsai Jack, who is charging $40 for 12 quarts. shipping soil is a killer!

Sure it's more expensive but I'd still buy it. I have nowhere for a cubic yard and did you factor shipping into that 30x?
BJ has free 2 day shipping seived and washed, tested for pathogens and free return shipping if not satisfied with their product. pH is 8.63
There's still a few places others can recommend as well. But going out of town this weekend I think I'd go for free 2 day shipping in a race for time.
Just can't answer the lava rock question.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Sure it's more expensive but I'd still buy it. I have nowhere for a cubic yard and did you factor shipping into that 30x?
BJ has free 2 day shipping seived and washed, tested for pathogens and free return shipping if not satisfied with their product. pH is 8.63
There's still a few places others can recommend as well. But going out of town this weekend I think I'd go for free 2 day shipping in a race for time.
Just can't answer the lava rock question.
I agree, but not sure where you’re seeing free 2-day shipping. It’s free for 3-8 days and 2 days is $21. At least to Washington.

AndyFrazer

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Paul, this is great advice coming from someone with 25 (!) years of experience.

I understand the importance of the pumice. But I have a question about the, "Absolutely no organic or fine soil." Why absolutely none?

Thanks

Andy

Top Bottom