Juniper do's and don'ts

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I want to step up my care of junipers in particular and Family Cupressaceae in general over the next year. I have a poor track record so far with them, probably due to doing too much too soon. I'd like to get some input from the posse on Juniper do's and don'ts on how to keep your juniper as healthy as possible. I'm sure others could also benefit from your experience. Thanks for your input.

Do...Provide full sun, free draining mix, regular feeding, daily water during the warm months (if the soil is dry), let your tree get cold and stay cold during the winter- they handle temps well below freezing for much of the winter without issue if properly protected.

Don't...over pot, over water, under water, over protect, miss the symptoms of spider mite damage until August:mad:.

Maybe it's me but Chinese junipers seem to take wiring bending better than procumbens. I lose a branch every now and then on procumbens junipers.
Don't pinch off all growing tips.

Do...Provide full sun, free draining mix, regular feeding, daily water during the warm months (if the soil is dry), let your tree get cold and stay cold during the winter- they handle temps well below freezing for much of the winter without issue if properly protected.

Don't...over pot, over water, under water, over protect, miss the symptoms of spider mite damage until August:mad:.

Edit: forgot the biggest don't...work on an unhealthy or stressed tree. The one exception is if the tree is stressed because of poor soil issues...then the re-pot may be life saving.

I never quite understood why overpotting is a problem. Could you explain?

Is it really possible to overwater using modern inorganic substrate?

Junipers don't like wet feet. Placing a juniper, particularly one that has just had root work done, into a pot that's too large means that much of the soil won't have roots in it and will stay too wet. Couple that with roots compromised by recent work and you may end up with root issues and a sick juniper. Can you over water while using modern substrate? I believe the answer is "yes", particularly if other horticultural demands of the tree aren't being met. Sick junipers or heavily pruned junipers don't pull a lot of water from the soil...you can easily over water these.

Aftercare

Do... Provide appropriate and adequate aftercare after any major work (i.e. Pruning, wiring, root work). For me this includes keeping the tree out of direct sunlight for at least 2-3 weeks, and only water when needed. I usually add a light soil vitaliser (e.g. Seaweed, super thrive, HB101) on the first water after any major work.

I also try not to do what I call cross-modal work in one season (i.e. If you do major root work, don't do major bending or foliage pruning). While this is not totally necessary, it is especially important if the tree is weak.

I want to step up my care of junipers in particular and Family Cupressaceae in general over the next year. I have a poor track record so far with them, probably due to doing too much too soon. I'd like to get some input from the posse on Juniper do's and don'ts on how to keep your juniper as healthy as possible. I'm sure others could also benefit from your experience. Thanks for your input.

It would be helpful if you revealed what kind of Juniper/junipers you are talking about. Specific Juniper often require specific care requirements.

I never quite understood why overpotting is a problem. Could you explain?

Is it really possible to overwater using modern inorganic substrate?

Yes, if you managed to stress the tree so much doing something else to the point that the tree is shocked into inactivity. Watering during this time can rot the roots.

Yep, even a coarse inorganic soil in a container will have a perched water level to some degree, so some of the cut/damaged/inactive roots could be sitting in water (or at least remaining wetter than you would think).

i agree with the others to be careful about the roots not staying too wet, at the same time feel free to shower THE FOLIAGE as often as you want, they love it.

- Do - mist them - anytime.

- Do - ensure they have a complete winter dormant, cold period, 4+ months, 1000 hours (generally). Much less watering (if any) and no feeding. If you keep them in a dark space ... most go "blue/green" in colour. Watering depends on where you keep them in winter ... If they are covered in snow, that's enough water and they get some light too.

- Do give them a very gritty, inorganic, well draining soil with only a 1/4 to 1/3 of anything organic and the rest inorganic/grit - there is much debate on the best soil "recipe"

- Do give them coniferous fertilizer or a general 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 with a monthly miracid dose or 30-10-10 (assuming tree is well rooted, healthy, growing).

- Overall ... they are pretty hardy ... most of them ... different kinds (needle/scale) require different bud trim/pinch techniques - there are many experts here. Some say to never pinch the ends of the buds - but cut them.

It would be helpful if you revealed what kind of Juniper/junipers you are talking about. Specific Juniper often require specific care requirements.

I have 2 sea greens, one Blue Rug 'Wiltonii', one Hinoki 'Fernspray', and a Boulevard 'Sungold'.

I think my juni's, except for the blue rug which is in a small pot, are indeed overpotted. They are in 9" pond baskets, which leaves a lot of bottom with no roots in it.

The Boulevard is in the ground, and is doing well. The blue rug is in a small pot and is doing well. The Hinoki is in a large pond basket, and while it hasn't had any die-back, neither has it had any growth this season. The sea greens are in large pond baskets, and fared the worst, with significant dieback this year.

What's the Do's and Don'ts of pruning foliage and cutting branches? As far as How much and when?

He hehe! Darling! You are back...Did you see the panic thread: Where is Vance!
Hope you sorted the mechanical problems.

One more dont do!
Dont remove too much foliage at one go...or over pinch, too often.

He hehe! Darling! You are back...Did you see the panic thread: Where is Vance!
Hope you sorted the mechanical problems.

One more dont do!
Dont remove too much foliage at one go...or over pinch, too often.

Neli Dear, that post you quoted was dated Aug 23rd. Vance has not been back.

Back
Top Bottom