Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Juniper Procumbens #1

Early Spring ‘23:
IMG_7414.jpeg

Summer:
IMG_8817.jpeg
Back into development for a few years (when the time comes to repot, I’ll make actions to widen the trunk).

Prune/Initial Structure:
IMG_9133.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpeg
I’m considering lopping off the rest of the previous semi-cascade that bifurcates outward. Doing so might reallocate energy to the new leader and progress the tree as it deserves.

While bending a tree and branches for the first time, I listened closely to hear soft cracking and splitting, stopping before any serious or cosmetic damage. I made sure to stand behind the tree, keeping stability, and with control out in front of me. I never experienced that before. It was exhilarating!

Now that the initial work is complete, I will wait through winter and for the next seasonal rounds of flushing and hardening, track the wire bite, and see how Juniper responds.

Great effort for the first tree!

The wiring looks well done. Likely the best bet next time when bending bigger branches would be to raffia first and use copper. It makes it ‘easier’ to bend with less potential damage, greater success and more long term stability of the bend. Besides it gives one good experience.

Honestly, here’s the thing I see, the new style that is being attempted is a difficult thing to do. Namely creating a style that is against the trees natural growth inclination. But quite often new hobbyists, including myself, give it a go.

That said, that doesn’t mean you can’t pull this new look off.

At this time it would be wise to wire out the entire tree. Lay out the branches.

Can’t say about a reduction until this is complete.

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom