Juglans Nigra (Black Walnut) 1

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting indeed. I have eighteen Black Walnut trees in pots that are getting on to some age now. Oh, ten to fifteen years I been dragging these from place to place. They're just starting to look like trees and not so much saplings. Some have grown very nice burls at the base and most have some trunk movement and interesting trunk features, jin, shari and uros. I've done a little tampering and found the foliage does reduce somewhat with ramifications, although that is slow to develop.
I was going to put these together as a forest planting this spring, but, I could say I wanted to let it develop a little more, but truth is I just didn't get a round toit. Hopefully it will get done this coming spring Pic is 4/21/21. View attachment 501637IMG_20210418_092002453_HDR.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What has been your pruning schedule and do you reduce leaf mass? Would like to have some experienced feedback.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could be of more assistance, but I really haven't had any kind of schedule for pruning. Most have been chopped at least once, but I've been primarily concerned with keeping them growing. I do no leaf mass reduction at this point, but will once they're established as a forest planting.
So far I've repotted them about every three years. They don't take kindly to root pruning and seem to take quite a while to get back in the swing of things. I'll be doing some good root reduction when I make the planting this spring. I think the leaves will reduce somewhat just being planted in mass in one container.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Idk. It dropped it's leaves. Roots seeem ok. Maybe just an early fall leaf drop?

20230930_153918.jpg

Top Bottom