JPB "Thunderhead"

TR8Driver

Sapling
Reaction score
I repotted my Pinus Thunbergii "Thunderhead" today. I got this many years ago from Evergreen Gardenworks, I don't even recall how long ago. It has been in the same pond basket for a long time, and the sacrifice branch was removed years ago. This is a dwarf cultivar, and is insanely dense. There is a nice root spread under the soil surface, but I kept it covered for now since I did quite a bit of root work. It also still needs to tip forward a bit more. Next step once it recovers from the repotting is to try to thin and define the branches.

IMG_3420.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My thunderhead looks different, but I have it growing out and have not pruned it since I bought it on July 2021. I think mine is grafted, I bought it from MrMaple as Brent was not selling them anymore.

2022 pic

1711538987283.png

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I didn't know the "Thunderhead" cultivar, do you know what are its characteristics compared to the classic thunberg pine ?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't know the "Thunderhead" cultivar, do you know what are its characteristics compared to the classic thunberg pine ?
Old description from Brent's site, it is not removed since he don't offer them anymore.

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' A dwarf form making a broad dense mound. Dark green needles contrasted with white buds. This cultivar has been given short shrift in the bonsai community, mainly because of its medium to long needles (three to four inches). However, I have found that the needles can be reduced to acceptable lengths, and that its excellent ability to back bud makes it a decent candidate for smaller pine bonsai, perhaps not quite shohin though. It looks very much like a slightly larger version of 'Yatsubusa'.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thunderhead has been around a long long time but I always passed on it because every one I have seen has very long needles. I don't know how dwarf it is but I have seen in 8 feet tall. It is certainly one of the most beautiful forms. Today if I found one I liked I would go for it.

TR8Driver

Sapling
Reaction score
The big feature of this variety that I've noticed is that it buds very densely. It was hard to get a good picture, but this might give you an idea (ignore the moss, it is hard to get out given how dense the foliage is). Other have noted the long needles, but I've not had that experience. Sure, on the sacrifice they got long, but the needles on the tree now are about 2 inches long, and I've not done much to specifically reduce them yet. Most of the battle is keeping it from being a solid mass of needles.

IMG_3423.jpeg

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
The big feature of this variety that I've noticed is that it buds very densely. It was hard to get a good picture, but this might give you an idea (ignore the moss, it is hard to get out given how dense the foliage is). Other have noted the long needles, but I've not had that experience. Sure, on the sacrifice they got long, but the needles on the tree now are about 2 inches long, and I've not done much to specifically reduce them yet. Most of the battle is keeping it from being a solid mass of needles.

View attachment 536981
do you let the moss developp on the branches/trunk of your pine ?
IMO if it was mine, i would remove it because it can host some pests/bacteria etc and it can damage/disintegrate the precious bark (by keeping it moist all the time) :eek:

TR8Driver

Sapling
Reaction score
do you let the moss developp on the branches/trunk of your pine ?
IMO if it was mine, i would remove it because it can host some pests/bacteria etc and it can damage/disintegrate the precious bark (by keeping it moist all the time) :eek:

I don't want it there, it is a constant battle in my climate to keep it in check. This tree in particular is a challenge because of the density of the needles.

Top Bottom