Japanese Red Pine seedlings

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anybody have a good source for them? I don't know why but suddenly I want some to work on along with my JBP.

Thanks in advance.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Matt Ouwinga sells them in the spring but I think that time is passed. I would try to source some seeds and plant them now. Your growing season is so long you would probably have reasonably sized ceilings by the fall.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think he had some last year, this year his JBP seedlings were gone quickly, I don't remember seeing any JRP available when I order my BC's and tridents. I suck at sowing seeds... I guess the few I have tried were either too old, or not viable. I guess I can see if I can source some and try.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think he had some last year, this year his JBP seedlings were gone quickly, I don't remember seeing any JRP available when I order my BC's and tridents. I suck at sowing seeds... I guess the few I have tried were either too old, or not viable. I guess I can see if I can source some and try.
Cold stratify for a week then plant. Try Schumacher Seed Co.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody have a good source for them? I don't know why but suddenly I want some to work on along with my JBP.

Thanks in advance.
I bought a packet of Pinus densiflora seed from Sheffield’s last year and had pretty good germination success.
I also use F W Schumacher as a seed source and have had good success.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I bought 40 from treeseedsplus on eBay this Winter and probably have 30 right now. They’re $2.30 for 20 shipped. I think I cold stratified for a month or so.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! I will probably order some seeds and give them a try.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, given the prices on treeseedsplus I placed an order for JRP, and a few others... hopefully a few will germinate.

1687438051899.png

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well, given the prices on treeseedsplus I placed an order for JRP, and a few others... hopefully a few will germinate.

View attachment 495138
Awesome man! They’re so cheap. I did JBP, JRP, Hinoki, J Larch, trident, Zelkova, and full moon maple from them this year. Everything germinated except the full moon (I think some squirrels got to them). Good luck!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome man! They’re so cheap. I did JBP, JRP, Hinoki, J Larch, trident, Zelkova, and full moon maple from them this year. Everything germinated except the full moon (I think some squirrels got to them). Good luck!
I wanted to get some zelkova, but I'm going to see how my Japanese maples do before attempting other trees that don't fair well in the heat.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I received this tree from @markyscott about a month ago, it was placed in slight shade as a "just in case" but the tree probably didn't need it. Just a little extra precaution because of the stupid weather this summer. This will probably become a literati, which is why I bought it from Scott, but it has some nice development in the lower part of the trunk that probably lends the tree to be a shohin. I will open up a thread on the tree soon to keep track of the progress.

1693080390073.jpeg

1693080449016.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I received this tree from @markyscott about a month ago, it was placed in slight shade as a "just in case" but the tree probably didn't need it. Just a little extra precaution because of the stupid weather this summer. This will probably become a literati, which is why I bought it from Scott, but it has some nice development in the lower part of the trunk that probably lends the tree to be a shohin. I will open up a thread on the tree soon to keep track of the progress.

View attachment 505258

View attachment 505260
Looks healthy! Probably likes being back in Texas after the short Virginia interlude!

S

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Awesome! JRP is a great species, just a little fickle on water and brittle branches.

Top Bottom