I made this pot for my Japanese Red Pine

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With springtime and repotting season just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to share this project that I’ve been working on 😃

The project was to make a pot for my Japanese Red Pine. I have been growing this red pine for about 5 years now from a seedling purchased from a fellow BNut @Tidal Bonsai back in 2019. Sal had wired it once for movement and I’ve wired it a few more times since then.

D3B07BCC-8B6C-4132-99F9-4D73DEE7D89E.jpeg
A64D1D82-B481-46FB-8C6A-0D244A5AA6E0.jpegD7D48810-1FC8-4EFB-BD0F-82A44C5A873D.jpeg

Starting to form some bark! Anyway, it’s currently in this very shallow Lynn August container. It’s a great pot but I am finding that I don’t have much use for super shallow containers in my garden, as it’s too difficult for me to keep them watered in the summer with a full time job. So I decided to make this pot for its next chapter of development!

BF49A198-E95D-40FC-8DEA-9BF715EA59B5.jpeg3B2E9321-8184-4C96-987D-5F53127FC048.jpeg

I chose what I consider to be a classic Japanese design with straight, angled walls and a flared lip. And of course, red clay for this red pine 😁

Finally, I carved a little pine branch motif into the bottom, as a playful nod to the red pine that I plan to put in it. I don’t usually do this but I was just having a little fun 😊
6E85653C-85BF-443A-BDF8-206ADCBE6187.jpeg

Anyway, this was a really fun project and I am looking forward to getting the pine potted up in the next few weeks!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
With springtime and repotting season just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to share this project that I’ve been working on 😃

The project was to make a pot for my Japanese Red Pine. I have been growing this red pine for about 5 years now from a seedling purchased from a fellow BNut @Tidal Bonsai back in 2019. Sal had wired it once for movement and I’ve wired it a few more times since then.

View attachment 533495
View attachment 533496View attachment 533497

Starting to form some bark! Anyway, it’s currently in this very shallow Lynn August container. It’s a great pot but I am finding that I don’t have much use for super shallow containers in my garden, as it’s too difficult for me to keep them watered in the summer with a full time job. So I decided to make this pot for its next chapter of development!

View attachment 533498View attachment 533499

I chose what I consider to be a classic Japanese design with straight, angled walls and a flared lip. And of course, red clay for this red pine 😁

Finally, I carved a little pine branch motif into the bottom, as a playful nod to the red pine that I plan to put in it. I don’t usually do this but I was just having a little fun 😊
View attachment 533500

Anyway, this was a really fun project and I am looking forward to getting the pine potted up in the next few weeks!
Looking great! Thank you so much for keeping up with the progression. That sharp bend in picture three is a main feature, and I am so glad that you are showing it off.

I can't wait to see where this tree goes next!!!

Top Bottom