Japanese Maple Varieties

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the website, if nothing else it has given me some great inspiration. I really liked one mother daughter example on there.

Aratama, shishio hime, kawaii, kiyohime, adrians compact. These are ones I particularly liked and want to know
if anybody has had experience with them? Some are claimed on the website to be good for bonsai. All can be found on the website too, but different pages.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From my experience deshojo grew weak compared to green maple,especially if pruning,pinching etc. also had backbudding issues,seems it always wanted to push shoots from the base of the branch or tip,i put mine in the ground for vigor,i also have chisio improved in the ground and it is more vigorous,never had fungal problems.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From my experience deshojo grew weak compared to green maple,especially if pruning,pinching etc. also had backbudding issues,seems it always wanted to push shoots from the base of the branch or tip,i put mine in the ground for vigor,i also have chisio improved in the ground and it is more vigorous,never had fungal problems.

I read, not sure where I have read alot about maples recently, that in general are red leaved varieties of plants grow slower than green ones, so I knew that coming in.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive been told pruning in mid august instead of spring helps with vigor issues.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In his maples book, Adams says Deshojo is a strong grower so it can be difficult to bonsai. He has two in the book estimated 30 years and one estimated 45 years. Nothing else specific about the cultivar was really mentioned.

Interesting, as among the acer palmatum air layers I did this year, my shin deshojo had the most vigorous root growth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've been propagating and growing Japanese maples for decades without too many problems. The cultivar Deshojo has not presented any problems to me in nearly 40 years of training. Cuttings are better than grafted plants because of the base. Air layers are even better.

Each cultivar of Japanese maple has different growth characteristic:

Arakawa, does not easily create compact growth
Kiyo Hime, strongly horizontal growth habit, good for cascade style'
Kashima, strongly vertical growth habit
Koto Hime, strongly vertical growth habit, hard to branch
Deshojo, easy to train, no problems and "normal" growth habit for a Japanese maple.

My most recent book, "Classical Bonsai Art- A Half Century of Bonsai Study, the Creations and Passion of William N. Valavanis" has over 90 pages devoted to maple bonsai care and training. Highly illustrated with quality color photos.

Attached is a Deshojo Japanese maple, started from a cutting over 35 years ago and completely container grown. It's a beauty in early spring!

Good luck with your maples! You can't believe everything you read…

Bill

Attachments

• DESHOJO.jpg
    DESHOJO.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 103

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great info Bill, thanks for posting!

Chris

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
William,
What are the dimensions on that tree? It is absolutely stunning. I love the contrast of the red leaves and white bark.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's listed as being 28" tall in his book (in case he doesn't see your question).

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
So many varieties on that site may have to try one or two.

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Brent has an improved version of Deshojo that is grown from cuttings:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/acer.htm

"0694 Acer palmatum 'Shindeshojo', A very showy green cultivar with fire engine red new growth. This is actually an improved version of 'Deshojo' (a highly sought after, but relatively weak growing tree). Small leaves and very fine branching make it an excellent choice for smaller bonsai after first growing out the trunk. Fall color is a deep solid red. Cutting grown plants, no graft union."

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is an example of a couple maples (including a Deshojo) from Danny Use's blog:
http://dannybonsaicenterginkgo.skyn...een-deel-van-zijn-acer-collectie-8328777.html

Nice.. But this seems a perfect example of a pretty young Deshojo. Look at the Deshojo (Deshoyo?).. It is a pretty tree, some decent trunk STARTING to develop, a little ramification... Then look at the Palmatum in the next image- the massive trunk, pancaked base with the wrinkles starting where the roots flair from the trunk... It is obviously an OLD tree... The Deshojo is young by comparison! I have never seen any Deshojo with that kind of age.. Anywhere. Maybe it is just a new variety and trees with that kind of age simply don't exist yet... I don't know the reason why, just saying I have not seen many/ any examples of really old, nice specimens of that variety.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After reading this thread again, I plan on getting a Deshojo and a Kiyo hime, and maybe something else. I plan on finding a kiyo hime suitable for a cascade because first of all, you rarely see a good cascade, and second I have never even seen a maple cascade before. Anyone have a nice cascading maple? Is it best to ship the trees in winter?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here are a couple of cascade maples I've grown and trained.

First is Kiyo Hime Japanese maple.

Next two, of the same tree, are Full Moon Japanese Maple.

Attachments

• KIYO-HIME-CASCADE.jpg
    KIYO-HIME-CASCADE.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 73
  • FULL-MOON-CASCADE-SUMMER.jpg
    FULL-MOON-CASCADE-SUMMER.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
  • FULL-MOON-CASCADE-AUTUMN.jpg
    FULL-MOON-CASCADE-AUTUMN.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 69

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Stunning, again William. I really am going to have to look into aquiring your book. I also have to build a new bench because I had a temporary one that my mastiff/great dane thought would be great to knock over and rip my trees out of their pot. Only one pot broke so not too bad, not sure if my trees will survive though. Maple probably will survive, two junipers may or may not, and privet will definitely.

Joe

Top Bottom