IMG_4279.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 68
What’s the best face when I repot in Spring and tips on styling? Do I let it grow out or cut back one of the trunks?

I think that the image you picked is your best choice, but the two secondary branches at the same level will need to be handled at seen point.

First up I like that this tree has rising secondary branching. Much mor natural for JM than horizontal 'bonsai' branches.

All the branch options are a bit confusing at the moment but getting rid of some of the less desirables will probably help make final decisions.
Give preference to bendy and curved branches over straight ones. Right off that means the first branch on left goes leaving a better curved branch to the rear where there are currently 2 from teh same spot.
Remove long internodes, even if that means shortening some branches more than you would like. Growing the branches back using shorter sections makes a much better tree in future so short term pain for longer term gain. Unfortunately long internodes are common on fast developed JM and I see some and suspect more that are harder to spot in the photos of this tree.

So a or b? I originally had c as the front but had a change of heart. Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4274.jpeg
    IMG_4274.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 40
I'm not a bonsai expert - and even less so of a maple guy, but I'd be looking to get back to something like the below. I think it would rely heavily on internode length but would end up as a cool little tree.

1695914212493.png

The tree has a lot of options and is suited to a naturalistic approach, it has potential to be good from all sides. What would I do if I was you? I'd study a few of Mach5's and Walter pall's Maples for inspo
Bg8KtloCEAAjQqS.jpg:large

Last edited:
btw I like this side with the tree tilted forward as if towering over you like a veteran deciduous tree, but again, it can be good from other angles
from here you need to flatten the root base and put it in a shallow pot and let the roots spread wide as well as the canopy. I may also cover up some of the current base. I could show many examples of similar trees, ones from the wild as well as bonsai, but I think one has to do their own research.
IMG_4280.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help. Also liked the last front as it provides a stronger stance but concerned with the crossing branch. This was the first year out of nursery pot and a bit late so I didn’t want to take too much out of the root base but will do so in spring.

The crossing branch can be fixed - snip.

The problem with photos is there's no depth perception. Need to check in person to make sure all other branches are well spread and going in pleasing directions.

Best front is a compromise between best roots, best trunk line, best branches and any features or faults in the tree. Most trees will not have best of everything from one point so pick the spot where most are good. Sometimes just turning the tree a few degrees can change some aspects.

I'd suggest a proper repotting will do more for this tree's potential than anything else. The problems with current nebari are only being exacerbated by its planting position. It needs to be planted in a much more shallow pot (after appropriate root work). You may not be able to get it into a final pot directly. With maples, everything flows from the nebari, so get that right first.

Update after some rootwork and repot. The plan is to let it grow and build vigor for the season but anything you see that I should cut back now?

Attachments

• IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4841.jpeg
    IMG_4841.jpeg