Japanese Maple Status - 10B Stall out

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Could I be losing this thing? My first JM. Slight bud swelling. It was fine the end of last season growing great. Been mid 60s to low 70s F.
Seems like it is stalling out. Any others in southern California with their JMs leafing out?C4E61779-81CE-48F1-A1E9-B7DCA8F0FC56.jpeg70EF87EA-53E7-42EB-9161-3C394DB4F968.jpeg

Any others in southern California with their JMs leafing out?
My oldest is leafing out (below). Some one year old seedlings have been slower and are just pushing partially leafed out. I have 2 large tridents and one is leafing out and the other is just starting to swell. Looks like my Cedar Elm and Gingko are going to be the last to the party!

5359DEDE-AD63-4C88-9FD6-D60C92962FA2.jpeg

Not to be a pessimist, but even zone 8 itself is very dicey for the success of a JPM. Provided you do everything in your power to provide sufficient moisture and shade, you're still going to be fighting a steep uphill battle trying to get it to thrive in 10b.

Not to be a pessimist, but even zone 8 itself is very dicey for the success of a JPM. Provided you do everything in your power to provide sufficient moisture and shade, you're still going to be fighting a steep uphill battle trying to get it to thrive in 10b.
I think this is where the usefulness of the single USDA zone based on minimum temperatures breaks down. My summer average is 73F, drive 15 miles inland and the zone which gets colder also gets more summer heat, averaging 91F. Plus our growing season tends to be dominated by offshore flow that brings morning and mid-day marine layers of fog (I have to over-summer my ficus inland if they need severe root pruning). By the time we get our hotter days with low humidity from the Santa Ana onshore flow, the maple growing season is nearing its end.

But I’m only through 4 “winters” with my JMs. I suppose they could still fail from insufficient dormancy, but at this point they appear to be getting enough rest. Plus there are decades old JMs in our greater neighborhood.

My biggest limitation at this point is my poor (high alkalinity) water, which I acidify and supplement.

I'm in the 120-150 climate, guess all these new maples I have are S-O-L.

:)

Protection from direct afternoon sun should do the trick.

To the OP - some of my maples have started to push, others are still "there", I figure patience is in order. Saw a landscape JM in Austin TX this week, no leaves being pushed yet, buds not even swollen.

Could I be losing this thing? My first JM. Slight bud swelling. It was fine the end of last season growing great. Been mid 60s to low 70s F.
Seems like it is stalling out. Any others in southern California with their JMs leafing out?
Patience is required. Not every tree proceeds at the same pace. Even in my nursery individuals of the same species leaf out at different rates so there's not really any sense comparing yours to other similar trees.
Does not look like there's a problem but there's nothing you can do even if the tree is failing so just relax and enjoy growing, even the frustrating bits like budding.

I think this is where the usefulness of the single USDA zone based on minimum temperatures breaks down. My summer average is 73F, drive 15 miles inland and the zone which gets colder also gets more summer heat, averaging 91F. Plus our growing season tends to be dominated by offshore flow that brings morning and mid-day marine layers of fog (I have to over-summer my ficus inland if they need severe root pruning). By the time we get our hotter days with low humidity from the Santa Ana onshore flow, the maple growing season is nearing its end.

But I’m only through 4 “winters” with my JMs. I suppose they could still fail from insufficient dormancy, but at this point they appear to be getting enough rest. Plus there are decades old JMs in our greater neighborhood.

My biggest limitation at this point is my poor (high alkalinity) water, which I acidify and supplement.
WOW this is good to know! I just moved to Orlando FL and brought my JM with me. I am still worried about them not getting enough dormancy but your experience gives me hope.
When do yours drop leaves usually? And what were the temperature like when it happened?
Thank you!

Question. If they were started in the wrong growing zone that is inadequate for their health, can a JM acclimatize to those area conditions?

When do yours drop leaves usually? And what were the temperature like when it happened?
My maple pictured above was turning “color” in mid-December and lost its leaves around the first of Jan. The overnight temps drop into the low 40F and daylight length is the shortest.

Question. If they were started in the wrong growing zone that is inadequate for their health, can a JM acclimatize to those area conditions?
Each year I send quantities of JM seed to a couple of growers in sub-tropical Brisbane. Their plan is to grow lots of seedlings and hope that at least some have the genes to tolerate warmer climate then grow from those to breed a tropical adapted JM.
Not sure if it will work or how long it may take but I applaud their dedication.

Seems like it is stalling out. Any others in southern California with their JMs leafing out?View attachment 424490View attachment 424491
As others have mentioned, individual plants will go at their own pace. Several years ago I planted a couple of dozen JM from the same batch of cuttings. I have 20 or so left in pots. Some are in full leaf, others are just starting to show movement.

I figured it woulda been a leafed up stall out.

Bruh hitting that snooze button.

If you zoom in on that large bud you can see a lil webby dustish stuff.

I believe trees know if there is a pest waiting for them to open. So they stall to wait out the bugs departure.

I also believe that if an infestation of algae eating bugs is present with no algae, they will eat the buds as they open and without careful inspection get em all before you know.

Sorce

I figured it woulda been a leafed up stall out.

Bruh hitting that snooze button.

If you zoom in on that large bud you can see a lil webby dustish stuff.

I believe trees know if there is a pest waiting for them to open. So they stall to wait out the bugs departure.

I also believe that if an infestation of algae eating bugs is present with no algae, they will eat the buds as they open and without careful inspection get em all before you know.

Sorce

Is that a recommendation for an insecticide?

Seems like it is stalling out. Any others in southern California with their JMs leafing out?View attachment 424490View attachment 424491
The pot is way too big. Now would be a good time to fix that.

Is that a recommendation for an insecticide?

Nah, never that!

Since health = design, my measure of when insecticide is necessary is when design possibilities get damaged.
Hasn't happened in 10 highly neglectful years.

The way I see it, the energy that goes into worrying, then buying, then spraying chemicals, then observing for results and falling into a perpetual regiment of soil destruction with continued sprays....

Can be cut in half and put into prevention.

It's never too late to start prevention.

Please dispose of unnecessary chemicals in the appropriate fashion! Just cuz you have em, don't mean using them is necessary!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom