Japanese Maple Progression

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My wife and I took a trip to Asheville back in 2017 to check out the town and see the bonsai at the arboretum. On the way home we stopped by the Bonsai Learning Center near Charlotte and I bought this Japanese Maple. I'm not sure of the variety but assume it's just a plain, standard variety. I don't have a picture from 2017 but I have this photo from 2018 after I repotted the tree.

2018.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great JM. I'm interested in seeing it out of leaf to see the results of your wiring. My only gripe with the leafless shot is that I'd like to see movement in those secondary and tertiary branches, but that probably what you did.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great JM. I'm interested in seeing it out of leaf to see the results of your wiring. My only gripe with the leafless shot is that I'd like to see movement in those secondary and tertiary branches, but that probably what you did.
Yes, I'll plan to take a leafless shot this winter. I've always been bothered by the 3rd and 4th branches from the bottom that emerge directly across from one another. The 2nd branch was not there when I bought the tree - I just got lucky that a shoot popped there sometime in 2018 or 2019. I thought maybe I could remove the branch above it but that's going to leave a pretty big hole. Maybe one day I can thread graft something from the right branch a little higher up and then remove it if that takes. That's an idea I've been playing around with anyway.

20203.png

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have definitely considered that as well. Thanks!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful! Do you have a system to control fungal issues/fanthracnose? The leaves look awesome for so late in the year!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful! Do you have a system to control fungal issues/fanthracnose? The leaves look awesome for so late in the year!
Thanks! I sprinkle bonide systemic granules on all of my pots a few time per year. I've never had major fungal issues in my yard, but since I started using that product the issues have basically disappeared altogether. I have one Chinese Elm that gives me problems every year but all of my maples stay in good shape. Also, this one grows in mostly shade which helps with the sun damage.

Top Bottom