Japanese Maple "Fireglow", suitable for Bonsai?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The local nursery has some grafted "Fireglows'. Are they ideal for bonsai? or are they more along the lines of a Bloodgood, with Long inter-nodes?

Not saying you can't make a Bloodgood into a nice Bonsai, but you know what I mean.

Jrmcmich

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
not sure exactly but heres some info online. It looks to have similar leaf shape and size to Bloodgood which for bonsai sounds like is recommended for large bonsai. By no means an expert but thought could share what I found. Good luck

https://www.thetreecenter.com/fireglow-japanese-maple/

One of the most popular tree varieties is one with reddish or purplish foliage. This colorful variation can be found in large shade trees like beech or Norway maple, in many smaller trees, from birch to crabapple, and in shrubs too. The rich, dark tones make a beautiful contrast with the green-leaf plants around them, and these trees are always admired. Among the Japanese maples, the variety called ‘Bloodgood’, with its rich red leaves, has been widely planted for a long time, but it has some limitations. It grows into a larger tree, reaching 20 feet tall and wide – dimensions that mean it easily overpowers smaller gardens. As well, particularly in warmer zones, the red leaves have an unpleasant way of turning a dirty purple-green once summer arrives, and they definitely lose their charm. If you love the look of this tree, but have a smaller garden, or live in a hot zone, then you should choose instead the Fireglow Japanese Maple, which looks similar, but has none of these limitations.

Growing Fireglow Japanese Maple Trees​

The Fireglow Japanese Maple develops into a well-formed small tree, typically reaching around 12 feet tall, and perhaps eventually reaching 15 feet. It is densely branched, and has an upright habit, with a rounded crown, so that it is rarely more than 10 feet wide. Those dimensions make it perfect as a specimen in a smaller garden, leaving plenty of room for other small trees. It looks lovely at the back of shrub beds, or planted in a row, perhaps along a boundary, or lining a driveway. The elegant leaves have 5 slender lobes, dividing the leaf deeply. Each lobe is toothed along its edges. These lovely leaves are a little larger, with slightly wider lobes, than the Bloodgood maple, so they are less prone to drying in summer – another plus.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve got one, but it’s a bit early to tell how well it’ll submit to the influence of bonsai techniques. My initial impression is that they’re vigorous growers and the leaves are on the larger side when left to their own devices. No idea yet how well the leaves reduce, as mine’s still in early development. I can say that they will air layer successfully and the layer seems to have no problem getting by on its own roots. My guess is that it’ll work best as a larger size bonsai. Certainly not shohin.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve got one, but it’s a bit early to tell how well it’ll submit to the influence of bonsai techniques. My initial impression is that they’re vigorous growers and the leaves are on the larger side when left to their own devices. No idea yet how well the leaves reduce, as mine’s still in early development. I can say that they will air layer successfully and the layer seems to have no problem getting by on its own roots. My guess is that it’ll work best as a larger size bonsai. Certainly not shohin.
How's the internode length? Do you have any Blood goods to compare them too?

Top Bottom