Japanese Maple Cutling how to?

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1943.JPG I have a Japanese maple weeping version in my front yard. Here's some pictures. I want to take a cutling and start a bonsai with it. How tall of a branch, soil mix etc. I have succulent mix and bonsai mix I was going to put together. Go ahead and put into a bonsai pot or a regular pot until it gets going? I live in south west Ohio. Our yard gets plenty of sun and shade.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Plenty of resources available here and on google with a simple search on maple cuttings. With that said, I wouldn't bother with this one as weeping Japanese maples are extremely difficult if not impossible to strike from cuttings.

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have another one that is a pigmy Japanese maple. But it's only a few feet tall. Can I take a small branch from it?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I separated this Koto Hime air layer today- 2 months
Is that plastic shell one of the containers from toy dispensing machine that takes quarters or tokens? Did you slice it or just make a hole through the top and bottom? Good idea for smaller airlayers.

toscgwsndiqz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is that plastic shell one of the containers from toy dispensing machine that takes quarters or tokens? Did you slice it or just make a hole through the top and bottom? Good idea for smaller airlayers.

Is that plastic shell one of the containers from toy dispensing machine that takes quarters or tokens?
Yes- I have many.
Did you slice it or just make a hole through the top and bottom? Both, first I drill a hole in the top and bottom then sliced the side. sometimes electrical tape is needed to keep them closed.

Top Bottom