Japanese Black Pine Style - Advice

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has been a long-term project, and I've settled on a style and planting angle that has stuck for the past 5 years. I knew this was a literati project to begin with when I first purchased this material and that reducing the amount of foliage is probably better overall for the design. I've been creating the foliage pads, which are coming along quite well. Even with this planting angle, there was a slight evolution. The original felt a lot more balanced where the tree "leaned" but also was counterbalancing.

1689351624415.png

I've since potted the tree up at the intended angle. I've also removed the rebar that's served its purpose.
1689351954991.png

However, through a bit more time, and with the removal of the rebar, the planting angle is now settled (gradually) a bit lower due to more foliage. I've felt it's affected the design a bit now that it's slightly uncomfortably too far out.
360844963_3588653354712874_5304495938033523831_n.png

What I like about this:
- I like how the tree has developed. It's less of a "ball" of foliage now as it embraces the lean a bit more I feel.
- I like how the drop branch is starting to be more and more of a feature that supplies the balance as the lean is more drastic now.
- I like how it's gradually leaning a bit more than the original design.

What I don't like:
- My gaze is drawn to the circular void in the middle.
- This pot choice I felt was a mistake; however, it's just an interim pot.
- Its lean now feels very unstable, as a composition I feel there needs to be more on the left to counterbalance.

Advice considerations?
- I'd like a better pot recommendation in terms of shape, or finish.
- I'd like feedback on if this more gradual lean is a good natural evolution.
- Do I need more foliage to balance the composition some more? I have a rendering a friend drew up for me. It feels like he thought the lean was too drastic and needs to be corrected.

361056127_1540806659656548_3941288546261119714_n.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If roots allow could be more upright. Present pot personally pleasing. Balance not needed but vision of branching structure is. Way too much foliage/branching for true Literati. Develop tree with tension or assymetry(if even appropriate for Literati as have never seen discussed). Tree looks not natural like hedge pruned/needles trimmed🤨.

Last edited:

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I personally think if you get rid of the top foliage and just keep the lowest part it would be a great literati and it would bring the focus back to the base which would make the lean look less drastic. However that is just my thought for what little it is worth.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you're going for literati, I like the more upright version I think hampton mentioned (rebar still in the pot). The canopy of the last two images suggests less literati and more slant.

I like your friend's rendering of the angle as somewhat more upright. You may also compact the tree by bending the canopy back to the left at the bend that forms the circle you mentioned above, thereby reducing the appearance/prominence of that to catch your eye.

I don't hate the current pot if you continue w/ the slanting direction (and more dense canopy). If you're going to return it to the sparse canopy and more upright, I'd look for a more rustic pot. Possibly nanban, maybe with a little depth to it.

I REALLY liked it's angle in the 1st and 2nd pic though.

B-Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
what an interesting tree! I'm basically in agreement with everything bwaynef said. for the pot, I think you have a chance to really play with the visual weight there, to find a balance between rugged/ rustic and scholarly. I would do this with texture/ shape rather than mass. the way the trunk emerges just reminds me of trees I see growing out of rocks on the mountains near me so I'd want to highlight that but with the refinement expected in a bunjin.

for the void, I feel like you either need to make that bend more acute, turning that negative space into more of a feature, or otherwise grow a branch/ pad into that space.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're going for literati, I like the more upright version I think hampton mentioned (rebar still in the pot). The canopy of the last two images suggests less literati and more slant.

I like your friend's rendering of the angle as somewhat more upright. You may also compact the tree by bending the canopy back to the left at the bend that forms the circle you mentioned above, thereby reducing the appearance/prominence of that to catch your eye.

I don't hate the current pot if you continue w/ the slanting direction (and more dense canopy). If you're going to return it to the sparse canopy and more upright, I'd look for a more rustic pot. Possibly nanban, maybe with a little depth to it.

Thank you for the insight! I do too... the bamboo is deteriorating and I need a better object to prop the tree back up. It's like a slow drop, you don't notice it until you realize, the tree doesn't even stand up anymore by itself. I think I'll have to tighten the guy wire and prop a more aesthetically pleasing rock to make sure it doesn't lean anymore.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've adjusted the lean by propping a stone shaped like a wedge and with a groove to the bottom of the tree. I've also attached a fresh new guy wire to bring the bend back from the originally intended planting angle. Here's the adjusted.

IMG_5380.jpg

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Looks more balanced now, IMHO... Very nice overall.

Top Bottom