ixora plant zone 9 to 11

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
has anyone tried this plant as a bonsai thanks

thank you will do.

Trying the dwarf variety right now. They seem to take bare root transplanting quite well. I have two of them in training and both are growing and blooming. One does have ants farming scale on it so I need to do something about that.

I had one once, they really are "warm growers". To keep it growing, protect it from cold, like bring it indoors if temperature drops below 60 F at night. They will survive down to the low 40's F, but they will stop growing, go semi dormant, and while dormant can not recover from pruning or repotting or pests or disease. Best to keep warm and growing. I know they are landscape plants in South Florida. So they will survive a Ft Meyers winter. But they look rough by the time the weather warms back up.

On our side, in Bonsai pots, this temperature range will kill
them during winter - 90 deg.F by day and 64 deg.F
by night [ lasts 10 ours ]

In the ground, no problems.

In Bonsai pots, usually insect problem free.
Good Day
Anthony

On our side, in Bonsai pots, this temperature range will kill
them during winter - 90 deg.F by day and 64 deg.F
by night [ lasts 10 ours ]

In the ground, no problems.

In Bonsai pots, usually insect problem free.
Good Day
Anthony
are you saying that between 90 and 64 would kill it?
🤪

@JoeH ,

I am saying the temperature range in a dark plastic bonsai
pot is perhaps too much and for x days / weeks, it will
die slowly over a month.
Good Day
Anthony

@JoeH ,

I am saying the temperature range in a dark plastic bonsai
pot is perhaps too much and for x days / weeks, it will
die slowly over a month.
Good Day
Anthony
right, are you saying they get cooked in the pot? I had two in training pots for over a year in FLA and they have been fine. Now they have graduated up to thrift store finds.

@JoeH ,

you may never get the problem, just be aware.
Trinidad in Winter goes through a no rain, normal high of
90 deg.F, and a normal low of 70 deg.F, with a humidty
of down to 45 %.
It is also breezy at this time of the year.

Our highest humidity on the hills is 80% with rain.
Hope that explains.
Good Day
Anthony

@JoeH ,

you may never get the problem, just be aware.
Trinidad in Winter goes through a no rain, normal high of
90 deg.F, and a normal low of 70 deg.F, with a humidty
of down to 45 %.
It is also breezy at this time of the year.

Our highest humidity on the hills is 80% with rain.
Hope that explains.
Good Day
Anthony
Well FLA is a lot soggier when it is hot and HUMID!!! We usually don't get hot and low humidity together. Sometimes we do like a few weeks ago and I just watered the crud out of my plants.

I just recently picked up a dwarf Ixora for some good ole fashioned fun. I live on the border of 10a/10b in South Florida. I know Ixora does well down here so, I thought it’d be fun to learn on some inexpensive material. Here’s the subject fresh off the big box rack. 9C7E5213-B1EB-4A66-8DC4-EC38549EF162.jpeg
Naturally, I asked it what it wants to be when it grows up and it’s dream is to run a quaint bed and breakfast with the best biscuits and gravy ever made. 👍 Pierneef style it is!
I found a lot of inverse taper due to multiple branches originating from the same point.
AB7D97AE-389A-479F-8864-76DDA742181C.jpeg
I cleaned it up with a concave cutter 🤷🏽‍♂️
5EF884A8-C673-4B76-9BA6-9F6D5C41A36C.jpeg
Selected branches, trimmed in hopes of back budding on certain branches and left others to grow out and thicken up.
7E955B56-079B-4579-BAE8-359803F148EF.jpeg5EB7CC66-4CC0-4238-8420-3E8E9795F98D.jpeg
Placed in good morning sun with shade from the mid day for now. TBD on the biscuits and gravy.

Attachments

• 94D345E5-576A-4CFF-ABA4-994EADD4507E.jpeg
    94D345E5-576A-4CFF-ABA4-994EADD4507E.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom