I've repotted my Scots pine seedling in early october. Is it a problem?

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi, I just got a small scots pine seedling and the soil it was in was very mucky and wet, so I bare-rooted it (I know it isn't supposed to be good but I didn't wash the roots so there still is some mycorrhiza on them) and planted it in good free-draining soil without cutting any roots except a very and I mean VERY long and thin one. You guys think this could cause any problems for the tree over the winter?
I went off the fact that bare-rooted pines are commonly sold here in the autumn and they do very well even with a small amount of roots.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It could. Generally bare rooting a pine is risky but its a young one so it might faire better. Not sure.
You will just have to wait and see how it does and if it comes back in the spring.

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it should do quite well just because last autumn, I think in november, I bought my first pine (pinus nigra) and just bare-rooted that baby not even knowing what mycorrhiza is and just popped in a pond basket that I dont even think has holes in the bottom ( which is very yucky ) and it grew like crazy this year especially the roots, it had a couple surface roots and now they are about 3 times thicker and a few more roots popped up out of the soil. I am a bit concerned about it not draining completely on the bottom of the basket but it did really well last autumn-winter and now that it has a lot more foliage I think it should still do ok.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bare root older pines can be a problem but bare root young trees no problem.
If the soil is probably going to kill the tree then changing the soil is a much better plan than leaving it to die.

October repot success may depend on local climate, how close to winter that is where you are and what protection you may be able/need to give until it gets going again.

No root reduction should mean no problem with the repot.

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bare root older pines can be a problem but bare root young trees no problem.
If the soil is probably going to kill the tree then changing the soil is a much better plan than leaving it to die.

October repot success may depend on local climate, how close to winter that is where you are and what protection you may be able/need to give until it gets going again.

No root reduction should mean no problem with the repot.
The weather here really changed a lot in the past 10 years, we used to get -15 C in Nov-Dec and now if we are lucky we might get a little below freezing at night time in January, plus the tree is on a balcony and I can just put it down if the wind blows too hard.
Man is climate change a bitc..... I haven't seen snow here for 2 years now :( .

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, the tree is alive, isn't very happy though, the outer half of all of it's needles turned brown, while the inside half is still green.
Gotta wait for spring to see some healthy needles.

Top Bottom