itoigawa juniper progression #2

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Purchased from Mr. Barry Altshule sometime in March. It was a little pricey, but the quality speaks for itself. At initial purchase, the tree was quite vigorous and ready for its initial styling.
IMG_6507.jpg

In early April, the tree was cut back significantly leaving branches I can work with wire. The trunk isnt very interesting, however it had some nice movement and ideal placement of branches.
IMG_6661.jpg

In late september, I wired some of the major branches and applied guy wires. No foliage at this point was removed since its initial cutback. The tree back-budded profusely along the trunk on the back side since that side was facing the sun. A majority of the tips were pushing new growth, with some of the heavily pruned areas pushing juvenile foliage.
IMG_7311.jpg

In mid-October, I wired some secondary branches and defined the pads better. A small percent of foliage was removed, mostly just crotch and growth facing down. I wasn't too keen on removing any more foliage because the tree is still recovering from those large initial cuts. This picture is the most recent photo.
IMG_7492.jpg

Eventually, I need to carve out some shari. As I'm currently selling the tree, I don't plan on putting it in a nice pot unless I decide to keep it. Since it's due for a repot (been 7 years in the nursery container), I'll put it into a pond basket or a tokoname training pot.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice shaping! I was going to ask about the plan for the lower left branch but you said the tree is for sale, yes?

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No immediate plans for the tree, besides doing a spring repot. In regard to the lower left branch, I'm thinking of leaving it. I like the asymmetry of the pads. Though depending on how well the tree as a whole develops, I may shorten or jin it completely.

The tree is for sale in my area. Ideally, I want to trade it off for similar sized material I can work with.

Top Bottom