Is this good "Kitty Litter" for soil?

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While reading some posts here and elsewhere I've been seeing that our UK Bonsai brothers and sisters use Cat Litter as a very effective soil. Of course here in the US its harder to find a suitable product, but I came across this oil absorbent from the Moltan company (sold in auto parts stores) that says its 100% Diatomaceous Earth. As long as the grain size is good (which I think it is), what do you think?

Attachments

• 8893_selectsorb_25lb.jpg
    8893_selectsorb_25lb.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 38

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
While reading some posts here and elsewhere I've been seeing that our UK Bonsai brothers and sisters use Cat Litter as a very effective soil. Of course here in the US its harder to find a suitable product, but I came across this oil absorbent from the Moltan company (sold in auto parts stores) that says its 100% Diatomaceous Earth. As long as the grain size is good (which I think it is), what do you think?

I use DE in my soil mix (Napa #8822) and it is good. Be careful and avoid inhaling the dust!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The only way to find out is by testing it.

Take a couple of samples. Place them in cups of water and let them soak...for a long time. Does the stuff turn soft and mushy?

If not...then subject it to the freezing test. Place a damp sample in the freezer until it is frozen solid, then thaw it out. Repeat a few times. Does it hold up or turn to mush? If it holds up, you may be able to use it.

Chris

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's diatomaceous earth manufactured by Moltan, who I believe make the NAPA DE I have used, so it's likely the same material. The NAPA stuff survived many freezing and thawing cycles with almost no break down. There only complaint is the particle size is a bit small at about 1/8 inch after you sift the fines out. It holds a lot of water.

Top Bottom