Is this fig tree worth 50 euros?

Thanks, I just really liked because of the taper on the trunk
Yeah, but that is 2 cuts instead of one cut you have to make on that farmers tree ;).

You can of course just grab this one if the price fits the range you advertised locally. Work on it. Get used to the species and then consider the hunt for another one in the country side when you are on holidays :)
Do you need me to join you hunt :)

Yeah, but that is 2 cuts instead of one cut you have to make on that farmers tree ;).

You can of course just grab this one if the price fits the range you advertised locally. Work on it. Get used to the species and then consider the hunt for another one in the country side when you are on holidays :)
Do you need me to join you hunt :)
Thanks, I have visited a few bonsai stores here and what I usually see from this species is a curved trunk with very little taper. The leaves aren't too large but also aren't small like a maple. They are also quite large. That's why this one stood out as it is quite short, which I like and has lots of taper. My only concern is that the cut you can see in one of the pictures looks like it was recently done.

Please do be careful of the sap when pruning. Skin contact can cause a painfully irritating rash reaction in many people!
Also, Portugal! No doubt there is an abundance if olive tree material!

Last edited:
Please do be careful of the sap when pruning. Skin contact can cause a painfully ittitating rash reaction in many people!
Also, Portugal! No doubt there is an abundance if olive tree material!
Thanks

I'll throw my opinion in. I got one for $10 that was about as thick as my thumb. Because of the big leaves and growth habit I knew that they aren't the best material for bonsai but I thought it would be fun to work on and maybe I'd enjoy a fig or two along the way too. This tree has a nice size trunk already with some interesting movement. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want it and can afford it I don't see why not.

I'll throw my opinion in. I got one for $10 that was about as thick as my thumb. Because of the big leaves and growth habit I knew that they aren't the best material for bonsai but I thought it would be fun to work on and maybe I'd enjoy a fig or two along the way too. This tree has a nice size trunk already with some interesting movement. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want it and can afford it I don't see why not.
Thanks

Thanks, what the reason?
All of what @vesper818 said, and at least in my area with our temperamental winters, they have a tendency to drop branches and sometimes die completely back to the root system, which can make designing difficult. I have been surprised though by how small the leaves can reduce.

So glad I am not many people in this case!
I hadn't heard of this before until a couple years ago when a friend was pruning theirs. She was working in the sun afterwards and got severe burns on her arms, chest, and face.

A few weeks ago I was cleaning up some donkey tail spurge (euphorbia), got covered with the latex, and was wiping the sweat off my face with my sleeve. Later when I got home, I realized I had a huge blister right under my eye, and blisters on my arms.

Latex, plus sun exposure will definitely cause some burns; watch out people!

Back
Top Bottom