Is it possible to root a pine cutting or not?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A friend of mine has a Japanese black pine he is planning on cutting quite a bit off of, and since those trees seem quite difficult to find in the Chicago metro area for a decent price, I was wondering if you can root a cutting of one or not. If it is at all possible, I may attempt it.

People take cuttings of newly emerged seedlings to start nebari development and they are able to get roots to form but I think it has to do with the cell differentiation in the new seedlings stalks and homomers that allows for it.

Not sure if taking a cutting from a mature tree will work with JBP.

There are reported successful results with specific methods applied to spring candles and also successful reports of air layering spring candles. I have not read or heard of any success with the normal cutting taken from excess material during pruning. Based on my experience with conifer cuttings I would not rule out the possibility but I would not expect it to be successful. Even the above reported successful approaches are limited in success and require a very controlled and deliberate approach.
No harm in trying if you have the time and the inclination.

I managed to root 2 out of 3 shoots from this season’s growth (fresh candles, Southern Hemisphere). It took around 3 months but they rooted well and have roots around 7-8” long and produced some new buds. I cut the shoots off, applied rooting hormone and put them in a pot of bonsai medium in a shady location. They got watered once a day.

There was a discussion here recently about . Black pine from cuttings . Try a message to Shibui. I think he was the one talking about success with cuttings . I may be wrong it may have been someone else but it was here .

There was a discussion here recently about . Black pine from cuttings . Try a message to Shibui. I think he was the one talking about success with cuttings . I may be wrong it may have been someone else but it was here .

I managed to root 2 out of 3 shoots from this season’s growth (fresh candles, Southern Hemisphere). It took around 3 months but they rooted well and have roots around 7-8” long and produced some new buds. I cut the shoots off, applied rooting hormone and put them in a pot of bonsai medium in a shady location. They got watered once a day.
I am interested about this. Did you plant these cutting from candles that were cut during decandling time, or were they candles that hardened off toward the end of your growing season?

I am interested about this. Did you plant these cutting from candles that were cut during decandling time, or were they candles that hardened off toward the end of your growing season?
@Adam D I cut some very fresh candles off a small tree around October last year, so they probably weren’t even hardened off yet. Applied hormone and stuck in a pot under a bench. When I checked on them in early Jan they had rooted. I wasn’t very scientific, just kept them moist and in the shade. Your mileage may vary 👍🏻

@Adam D I cut some very fresh candles off a small tree around October last year, so they probably weren’t even hardened off yet. Applied hormone and stuck in a pot under a bench. When I checked on them in early Jan they had rooted. I wasn’t very scientific, just kept them moist and in the shade. Your mileage may vary 👍🏻
Nice! I will try this with some of my young vigorous pines this year

Interesting that my experience is different from @SeanS I have tried lots but never had success with candles in spring or summer. On his success I'm intending to try again with different hormone strengths and conditions.
I have regularly rooted 1 year old sections after summer and winter pruning a range of pine sp. Success is low with only around 10% of cuttings striking. Growth has generally been slow until roots get strong so cuttings only really worth considering if seed is not available or you have access to a tree that has desirable characteristics.

Marc Comstock does it all the time.. it's amazing

A friend of mine has a Japanese black pine he is planning on cutting quite a bit off of, and since those trees seem quite difficult to find in the Chicago metro area for a decent price, I was wondering if you can root a cutting of one or not. If it is at all possible, I may attempt it.
I have extra black pine sapling if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom