Is anyone familiar with acer tataricum "hot wings?"

BonsaiManic

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
There are not a lot of maples that thrive in the desert, and this one is somewhat drought tolerant, so I was contemplating procurement. But I might not be to that point yet. I saw these in Denver a few years ago, and they are very impressive specimen. If anyone has experience with these, I'd definitely be interested in gleaning some of your knowledge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240723_134627_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240723_134627_Google.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20240723_134529_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240723_134529_Google.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20240723_134555_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240723_134555_Google.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
I have no personal experience with this maple, but It seems to be native to southeastern Europe and western Asia. Not sure this is really a desert tree. In fact, it is hardy to zone 3. It will need dormancy.

According to my research, it is a variety that came about in Colorado, which has a pretty dry climate, and plenty of heat, especially in the eastern part of the state. From what I can figure, it might be drought tolerant enough, but I'm not sure about the heat. It gets cold enough long enough here that the big-tooth maples go dormant, as well as elms, soapberry, and other typically deciduous trees.
They are very pricey, though. I think this might just be a plea for someone to convince me one way or another, so I don't drop a bundle on a tree just to murder it.
From the wealth of knowledge here, I've learned that I live in probably the most difficult climate for bonsai, so my species options are very limited, especially for a beginner. Thanks for your input.

Lots of species that enjoy some hotter climates. Ficus, olive, various fruit trees. Not exactly sure what the climate is like by you, but perhaps some sub tropical species will be happy in your area. I was in Arizona a few months back and took some Palo verde and Texas ebony seeds back with me. I saw manzanita growing naturally as well. See what grows naturally around you and then see what you can bonsai.

Already have an arbequina olive, 3 juniper, a honey locust, 1 DAS, a live oak, a yaupon holly (ReAlLy hoping it recovers, great nebari), a honey mesquite, Texas mountain laurel, a couple variegated jade, a handful of green and variegated portulacaria afra, a dozen or so mimosa, and seedlings of:
Honey locust, honey mesquite, and Chilean mesquite (not sure where those seeds came from.
I also have a couple benjamina cuttings and a triangularis that are thriving again after I accidentally scorched some leaves.

You are all set my friend.

You might try Shantung maple, A. truncatum. As landscape trees in my climate, they tolerate full sun to partial shade and little irrigation after establishment. I have one in development and one seedling and they seem to adapt to bonsai techniques well. Like trident maples they have several flushes of growth through the season.

@dbonsaiw, I hope so. I've resigned myself to the idea of learning the necessary care and growing techniques now, and styling later.

@Michael P, I mostly grew up outside of Sherman in Grayson county, so I know your climate. Much more humid, but almost as hot. We also have a mild winter with maybe a dozen days that don't get above freezing. I'll certainly look into Shantung. Our main issue is precipitation; we average around 13" a year.

I don’t think you need to worry too much about drought tolerance. Since it’s in a container, you are controlling exactly how much water it gets, after all ;)

I don’t think you need to worry too much about drought tolerance. Since it’s in a container, you are controlling exactly how much water it gets, after all ;)
I guess it's a combination of heat and drought. In North Texas, when there was no rain for a month or two, the humidity was still high. Here, two days after a rare rain, humidity is down into the 20%-30% range, and single digits a day after that. I'm still figuring out the difference between growing plants in the ground and growing trees in pots with exceedingly porous substrate. I just have to be patient and persistent.
Thank you for the encouragement!

I know here in Utah the hotwing is quite sought after for landscaping (working in the nursery I hear them asked for regularly)

Reading over everyone else's replies I find myself agreeing, drought tolerance typically only matters out side of pots if you were planning on sticking them in a field to grow for a year or two I'd understand your concern however I think it should be fine,

I know In the hot season it may be worthwhile to have some of your trees in a small basion of water (not super high) to try to keep temp down and make up for inability to water... However maples do tend to prefer dry feet so I'm not sure how well that particular method would do for it..

If your worried about heat investing in some shade cloth to reduce light and heat mid- late day would be the best solution.

Back
Top Bottom