Introduction: Bonsan

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi

I have been thinking about getting into bonsai for a few years now (and regret not having started earlier!) and finally took the plunge when I saw a fresh cart of Thujas being rolled into my local supermarket, home improvement, gardening thingy. They costed the equalence of 10 USD so I bought one and started working on it heavy handedly. It has still to recover.

I currently do not have any bonsais, but I have the following pre-pre-bonsais: Thuja, a japanese maple, an olive tree, a schefflera or two as well as the obligatory ginseng ficus (it is currently in the same state as the Thuja) .

So, thanks for the advice so far!

-Bonsan

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you from? If you have any specific questions you are more likely to get some replies. Welcome to the Forum.

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I have updated my location. Here are photos of my maple and olive tree pre-bonsai material.

IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0336.JPG

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
I will chop the maple down two nodes on the leader as soon as it drops its leaves. I also have to figure out how to thicken the lower branch compared to the second one. But other than that, I think it could be off to a decent start. I plan to repot it and root prune it in the spring.

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Here are my thuja and schefflera. Both are currently on strike. The wise people at fukubonsai would probably throw my schefflera away, since it hasnt back budded in the three weeks since it was pruned and "pie cutted" above each leaf.

IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0345.JPG a

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The schefflera and the ficus mallsai derivatives are indoors, the rest is out on my balcony.
Good deal.
From the pictures you know I had to ask.
I don't think I'd cut anymore off of that maple though.
It's had enough before going into winter.

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Good deal.
From the pictures you know I had to ask.
I don't think I'd cut anymore off of that maple though.
It's had enough before going into winter.

Thanks for your concerns. I can prune it once the leaves drop, correct?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your concerns. I can prune it once the leaves drop, correct?
I always wait until spring as the buds swell.
But I only have one maple presently.
These guys know more about maples than Ill ever know so lets ask them when the best time to chop a maple.
@Smoke
@MACH5

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice, I cant wait for spring to come. Fall is truly not the best time to start getting into bonsai!

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hehe was holding off with the indoor question.. :p Two more quickies: any soil plans for next repots? And can a thuja survive a cut back like that?

Mike's pinged two of the best there, so any maple pointers are gold.

I got into bonsai in the middle of winter so not that bad :)

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Hehe was holding off with the indoor question.. :p Two more quickies: any soil plans for next repots? And can a thuja survive a cut back like that?

Mike's pinged two of the best there, so any maple pointers are gold.

I got into bonsai in the middle of winter so not that bad :)

I hope they respond!

I would probably heed Nigel Saunder's advice regarding soil (I really like his videos and general approach). I will wait and see if the thuja starts sprouting next spring. If not, its still been worth it because it got me started. Any suggestions on good you tubers and bloggers are well received!

Middle of winter is still closer to spring than fall ;)

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No personal Thuja but suggest is not great time of year for most work including heavy handed. Will recovery occur? Wait to see. Known exceptions would be many/most tropicals;).

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Ok, so here is an update.

-The maple is starting to put out new growth quite aggressively
-The ficus stump is just starting to show some life, but it is at the old grafts, I wanted the root stock to sprout
-All of the ficus cuttings, except one, have lost all their leaves (dispite being lit) and have lost all green color from the branches, when do I give up on them?
-The remaining cutting has witheld three leaves, but no signs of new growth.

I did however buy a ficus natasja bush to experiment with. I' was thinking of either grafting to the ficus stump or to plant a couple through a tile. But first I'll let it acclimatise for a month or so.

Does anyone know of a good thread / video about ficus planting through tiles?

Thanks!
-Bonsan, the horticultural equivalent of a medieval doctor

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Here is a photo of my latest, greatest achievement. My patients are slowly responding to my medicine.
IMG_0355.JPG

Top Bottom