I'm a Newbie. What type of tree is this?

Farffle12

Seed
Reaction score
I received this tree as a gift from my kids because I love The Karate Kid. I want to properly care for it, but all the tag said was "Bonsai". It's currently inside in this pot with rocks and moss on top. Hard to tell what there is for soil underneath, but it does seem to drain well when I've watered it. I live in Minnesota, so I'm wondering if it should be outside in the harsh winters or not if I need to move it outside? I believe they got it at Home Depot. Any help would be much appreciated. Excited to give this a go!1000003516.jpg1000003514.jpg

Welcome to Bnut.
That is a Juniperus procumbens nana, a very commonly used plant for bonsai.

Yes it should be outside 24/7 but in your winter you'll need to provide some protection either mulched in along the foundation of your house or a shed/garage that stays below 40 degrees. If inside a shed or garage, you'll need to water it at least once a week or so.

Welcome to Bnut.
That is a Juniperus procumbens nana, a very commonly used plant for bonsai.

Yes it should be outside 24/7 but in your winter you'll need to provide some protection either mulched in along the foundation of your house or a shed/garage that stays below 40 degrees. If inside a shed or garage, you'll need to water it at least once a week or so.
Thank you so much, that was my first guess, but my daughter disagreed 😁. At least I have some time to figure out what to do for winter.

Welcome! I set all my (non-tropical) trees on the ground just behind a raised garden bed and mulch them in for the winter. I keep a chopstick in each of the pots to check the need for water

IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8243.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice gift! Paradox is right on the money with the advice so all I can add is… welcome to the nut house!

Back
Top Bottom