Ilex vomitoria -- HELP!

BonsaiManic

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I purchased an American Holly about a month ago because it had decent shape and great nebari (in my opinion). It has (had?) a lot of potential. After a week, I did a light pruning and basically slip potted it into a light potting soil after some minor initial wiring.
Now it looks quite sickly. I don't know if it was a combination of transplanting and heat (multiple consecutive days of 100°+) or if it didn't dry out enough between waterings. It was kept under my carport, but still got reflected sunlight from a white wall.
It seems to be budding on some tertiary branches, so I'm holding on to hope. Also, when I repotted it today, I gently combed out the roots and put it in a mix of coco coir, a little bit of fir bark soil blend, and aquarium gravel (I know, I know, but it's all I had on hand, and it seemed like an emergency).
Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240622_102824.jpg
    20240622_102824.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240622_102833.jpg
    20240622_102833.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240622_102847.jpg
    20240622_102847.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240622_102907.jpg
    20240622_102907.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 56
I think you are right. I'm afraid you did too much too soon and at the wrong time of the year. Maybe put it in a little morning sun and watch the watering. Do nothing else to it this year.

I think you are right. I'm afraid you did too much too soon and at the wrong time of the year. Maybe put it in a little morning sun and watch the watering. Do nothing else to it this year.
Yes, I'm not touching it anymore for a long time. Do you think it has a chance of survival? I've placed it partially under a grapevine where it will get, as you suggested, morning sun, and dappled afternoon sun. The vine is on a north-facing fence, so it will be in shade during the peak hours of heat.

Yes, I'm not touching it anymore for a long time. Do you think it has a chance of survival? I've placed it partially under a grapevine where it will get, as you suggested, morning sun, and dappled afternoon sun. The vine is on a north-facing fence, so it will be in shade during the peak hours of heat.
If it's putting out fresh, green shoots, I think it has a good chance of surviving. In my experience, there are very few instances where you HAVE to do anything to a tree immediately. Most anything can wait until the next repotting season.

No new leaves yet, but plenty of green twigs, and a few swelling buds. Still hopeful. This one has the best potential in my sprouting collection. Been keeping the roots dry (watering, of course, but not until 2 knuckles are dry), still in the shade. This one is going to sit untouched until '26 - assuming it survives.

I've dabbled with a few dwarf ilex vomit. As trash trees in the woods, they are indestructible due to their root sucker's constantly propagating. When treated as a bonsai, they are MUCH touchier, and extra care must be taken when working with them IMO. The ones I killed re-foliated, then declined and died. I wish you luck but wouldn't hold your breath.

On the plus side, I can find them at garden centers during sales for $9 (3gal size) which is about the size of this trunk. So backups should be easy enough to aquire.

Possibly, but this one was acquired during a trip to a couple of doctors in Lubbock, 3 hours away. We are exceptionally isolated here in the desert. The nearest bonsai club in this climate is 4.5 hours away. There are a couple garden centers, but a big box store doesn't have the same quality as a real nursery/garden center.

I'm not holding my breath, but my feelings certainly wouldn't be hurt if it survives!

Most of the nursery stock here is more suited for this climate. 8% humidity is not ideal for probably 90% of the world's trees.

Yep. Yes, that is correct. I knew that, but when I reread my original post, I saw my mistake. Both are North American natives, but yaupon is the only N.A. plant that contains caffeine. Thank you. I appreciate well-meaning correction, and in this craft, I want as much critical advice as I can get.

I remember the other time I was wrong about something...

...and then came bonsai...

Yep. Yes, that is correct. I knew that, but when I reread my original post, I saw my mistake. Both are North American natives, but yaupon is the only N.A. plant that contains caffeine. Thank you. I appreciate well-meaning correction, and in this craft, I want as much critical advice as I can get.

I remember the other time I was wrong about something...

...and then came bonsai...
LOL it isn't any big deal. American holly is a relatively large tree with very spiky leaves. You are better off with Yaupon holly for bonsai :)

If it's Ilex vomitoria, you have nothing to worry about. It will come back. I've done far worse things to mine and they always come back.

I hope you're right. Big difference between Louisiana and New Mexico, though. I would guess your humidity is usually in the 80% range most of the time. Our summers are single-digit RH, and triple-digit temperatures.

I never worry about my Ilex vomitoria getting too wet. I have them growing everywhere around me and can collect hundreds of them if I wish. They grow everywhere all the way to the edge of the swamp. I wouldn't worry about having it in potting soil and having it too wet.

Ok, good to know. Hope to drive out to Jax next fall, or spring of 26 to visit my brother and his family. Might have to take a "collection hike" while I'm there. For some reason, I'm really interested in this species. And I don't think it's just because of the caffeine. It gives me a rush just because, even without drinking the tea!
Lol

Ok, good to know. Hope to drive out to Jax next fall, or spring of 26 to visit my brother and his family. Might have to take a "collection hike" while I'm there. For some reason, I'm really interested in this species. And I don't think it's just because of the caffeine. It gives me a rush just because, even without drinking the tea!
Lol
Hope this one makes it, but if not, you should know that yaupon holly is a very common landscape shrub in the southeast. It makes for a superior, easy-going boxwood substitute. And there are so many cultivars. A trip to the shrub section to any nursery will yield specimens with nice thick trunks and root flare. And yaupon holly can be hat-racked like any other holly and will sprout back vigorously.

You are right in that this is an awesome species for bonsai.

Unfortunately not so common here. It was a new species for me, and I found it by chance at a nursery 3 hours away. Mine has lost its last old leaf, but still has buds swelling on a few green twigs. I haven't given up hope yet. I suppose I can hold on as long as the tree can.

Back
Top Bottom