Identification and Initial potting

Lilymaize

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good evening! I've just received a Bonsai as a gift. The packaging didn't identify what it was or how to pot it. Can anyone identify the plant? I did receive some potting soil but as you can see the shapes are very different between the plant and pot. Do I just remove the soil at the bottom? Also I live in a very cold climate (winter temps below freezing to -30 F) but it seems this needs to be outside. Any recommendation? Can I leave it inside for the winter?
IMG_0880.jpg

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need better photos for identification, closer photos of the foliage would help. Probably better off waiting till spring to repot it, and be sure and get suitable soil first as well. If it is already winter, I wouldn't keep it inside for any period of time, it will come out of dormancy, unless it is tropical then it will need to remain indoors.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good evening! I've just received a Bonsai as a gift. The packaging didn't identify what it was or how to pot it. Can anyone identify the plant? I did receive some potting soil but as you can see the shapes are very different between the plant and pot. Do I just remove the soil at the bottom? Also I live in a very cold climate (winter temps below freezing to -30 F) but it seems this needs to be outside. Any recommendation? Can I leave it inside for the winter?
View attachment 521593
Most likely a tropical. I would not put it outside.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, as stated above, closer pics of the foliage will better help identification. Where did it ship from?

Lilymaize

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_0881.jpgThank you for your responses. Does this picture help? The plant came with planting soil specifically for it, so I'm good there. Yes, it is winter where I am and below freezing. It shipped from Mississippi.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 521628Thank you for your responses. Does this picture help? The plant came with planting soil specifically for it, so I'm good there. Yes, it is winter where I am and below freezing. It shipped from Mississippi.
I think that's a camellia. I have a huge one in my back yard and the leaves and buds look very similar. If it is, they're evergreen and quite hardy, but in your zone with the winter temps you described, I don't think it'll do well outside.

Lilymaize

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that's a camellia. I have a huge one in my back yard and the leaves and buds look very similar. If it is, they're evergreen and quite hardy, but in your zone with the winter temps you described, I don't think it'll do well outside.
Thank you! I'm zone 4. Do you think it would work to have it outside Spring, Summer and Fall but inside in the Winter?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's an azalea. If it came from Mississippi, probably came from Brussel's. Putting it straight outside will most likely kill it but inside will probably also. If you can keep it cold but not freezing like an unheated garage would probably work best.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty sure that's an azalea. If it came from Mississippi, probably came from Brussel's. Putting it straight outside will most likely kill it but inside will probably also. If you can keep it cold but not freezing like an unheated garage would probably work best.
This.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes. It is an azalea. You are right. With a very cold climate of possible -30F. It can't stay outside but unheated garage would be just fine.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azalea from Brussels bonsai in Mississippi. Possibly a satsuki azalea, since that's what Brussels has. In a climate (please add your location in your avatar to the left) like yours, best to keep it indoors this winter. Some satsuki varieties are more cold hardy than others, but -30 F will probably kill the hardiest of them. That means you have an overwintering challenge. You have to find a bright, humid, but not necessarily warm place inside for it. Also, an unheated garage is risky with Satsukis. Had a friend here in Va. who lost a few after overwintering in his garage. Didn't kill them outright, but significantly weakened them over a couple of years. I have a feeling it was the lack of adequate light in that situation.

Also repotting azaleas is not as straightforward as other more forgiving species used for bonsai. you have to be a little less aggressive with the root mass--roots break easily.

repotting

Lilymaize

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azalea from Brussels bonsai in Mississippi. Possibly a satsuki azalea, since that's what Brussels has. In a climate (please add your location in your avatar to the left) like yours, best to keep it indoors this winter. Some satsuki varieties are more cold hardy than others, but -30 F will probably kill the hardiest of them. That means you have an overwintering challenge. You have to find a bright, humid, but not necessarily warm place inside for it. Also, an unheated garage is risky with Satsukis. Had a friend here in Va. who lost a few after overwintering in his garage. Didn't kill them outright, but significantly weakened them over a couple of years. I have a feeling it was the lack of adequate light in that situation.

Also repotting azaleas is not as straightforward as other more forgiving species used for bonsai. you have to be a little less aggressive with the root mass--roots break easily.

repotting
Thank you so much, rockm. I can easily do cool and sunny in my house. Humidity will be a challenge, but I will figure it out. Appreciate the repotting info as well.

Top Bottom