I won't quit.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
He already attacked me lol and who cares at this point. I just found his position HILARIOUS given that he’s beyond a newbie at 3 years in. Trying to ask me to show my trees so he can decide if I’m ready for a tree. A JOKE. Go look at how he approached me and then you tell me who attacked who. Hilarious wherever you land. Heeeelarious
Go on

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Since I’ve commented I should actually contribute. Will I ever quit? Maybe. I’m relatively young and will hopefully have many changes to my life going forward (gotta keep things interesting) so who knows where I’ll end up. I’ve only been at it for one year - in reality not even that. It’s been fun so far though and I tend towards the deep dives on new hobbies. Some stick some don’t. At least with this one it brings a lot of perspective whether or not I stick with it. I find myself paying much more attention to my landscape and the details of the trees around me than I had ever noticed before and I doubt that’d change moving forward.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Since I’ve commented I should actually contribute. Will I ever quit? Maybe. I’m relatively young and will hopefully have many changes to my life going forward (gotta keep things interesting) so who knows where I’ll end up. I’ve only been at it for one year - in reality not even that. It’s been fun so far though and I tend towards the deep dives on new hobbies. Some stick some don’t. At least with this one it brings a lot of perspective whether or not I stick with it. I find myself paying much more attention to my landscape and the details of the trees around me than I had ever noticed before and I doubt that’d change moving forward.
Among the things from bonsai that are useful in your gardening and landscape is the skill to keep landscape trees forever at whatever size you decide by applying bonsai reduction pruning.
A case in point is the crape myrtles that were planted when they first created my subdivisions. After a few years, we now have some that are way too big in proportion to where they are. Most of the rest are horribly deformed from pollarding. Yet my crepe myrtles stay exactly the same size I want them to be. Every year the trunks may get a tiny bit bigger but the trees look the same. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Among the things from bonsai that are useful in your gardening and landscape is the skill to keep landscape trees forever at whatever size you decide by applying bonsai reduction pruning.
A case in point is the crape myrtles that were planted when they first created my subdivisions. After a few years, we now have some that are way too big in proportion to where they are. Most of the rest are horribly deformed from pollarding. Yet my crepe myrtles stay exactly the same size I want them to be. Every year the trunks may get a tiny bit bigger but the trees look the same. :)
Yeah that’s a good point. I came from getting really into houseplants (I have maybe 80 or so) and wanted to be more active in developing the look of the plants. Bonsai scratches that itch but I’m now also much more comfortable clipping and trimming houseplants I used to just let run wild.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go read it. Lol.

Please quit this thread ruining discussion and take it to the place where you were fighting. Do not spoil other threads with this ridiculous back and forth. And very bad form to take a broken discussion in one thread, into another. Please do not do this here or in any other thread on the forum. We have had this phase, and basically every thread was wrecked over a handfull of members bitching about.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Please quit this thread ruining discussion and take it to the place where you were fighting. Do not spoil other threads with this ridiculous back and forth. And very bad form to take a broken discussion in one thread, into another. Please do not do this here or in any other thread on the forum. We have had this phase, and basically every thread was wrecked over a handfull of members bitching about.
That dude started it. I’m done responding to him I did not instigate anything. Take it up with that person. Not me , thank you

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was just answering @one_bonsai about his thread "I quit".
Circling back to the initial post, it's definitely a commitment. I am traveling in mid-July and no question I am anxious about leaving the trees. But it's no different than what my 10 year old must be feeling about his lizard, frogs and turtle - someone will need to care for them while we are away.

The only time I would consider quitting is if, after say 5 more years, I am simply not having any success with this endeavor. Mistakes and failure are par for the course, but there needs to be success and satisfaction as well to keep the enthusiasm going.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
This is my third re start, Dogs, kids and wife, the triple threat.

It’s about looking at the tree and then zeroing in on a branch, trying to make the best it can be, when I’m in the bonsai zone everything else is out of my mind, I guess it’s my zen time.
Then back to reality.

Thanks

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
This is my third re start, Dogs, kids and wife, the triple threat.

It’s about looking at the tree and then zeroing in on a branch, trying to make the best it can be, when I’m in the bonsai zone everything else is out of my mind, I guess it’s my zen time.
Then back to reality.

Thanks

Well, later on - like me - bonsai becomes one's reality.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I made quite a bit of money selling my collection when I had to move across the country.

Actually let's be honest I was just recouping pennies on the dollar for vast sums already spent....

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I made quite a bit of money selling my collection when I had to move across the country.

Actually let's be honest I was just recouping pennies on the dollar for vast sums already spent....
As the saying goes, “If you want to make a million dollars in bonsai, start with two million”. I’m under no illusions that I’ll even come close to breaking even with the $$$ I’ve spent through the years, never mind the vast amount of time I’ve spent maintaining and working on my collection. I just don’t think about it… and I burn all the receipts so my wife will never know😉.

Top Bottom